Chapter 19 - Utopia

Utopia, part 1 -

Months of travelling passed for the trio. The Oracle and the Doctor became closer again and the events of 1913 had been forgotten. Finally they needed to get some fuel so the Doctor took them to Cardiff.

"Cardiff", he commented.

"Cardiff?", Martha asked, almost digusted.

The Oracle let out a single laugh.

"Ah, but the thing about Cardiff, it's built on a rift in time and space, just like California and the San Andreas Fault, but the rift bleeds energy. Every now and then I need to open up the engines, soak up the energy and use it as fuel", he explained.

"So it's a pit stop", Martha concluded.

"Exactly. Should only take twenty seconds. The rift's been active."

"How can it have been active?", the Oracle asked from her position on top of the railing.

The Doctor was staring at the monitor.

"Wait a minute", Martha spoke up, "They had an earthquake in Cardiff a couple of years ago. Was that you?"

The Doctor nodded, "Bit of trouble with the Slitheen."

"I heard about that case. Raxacoricusfallapatorius wanted to execute that entire family for their crimes but they didn't get to a single one of them", the Oracle spoke up, having read up on recent developments in interplanetary law.

"A long time ago", the Doctor continued, caught up with something on the monitor, "Lifetimes. I was a different man back then."

"Are you alright, love? What's on that screen?"

The Oracle got up to try and have a glance at the monitor but he moved it away from her quickly and got the Tardis started.

"Finito. All powered up."

The Tardis protested when they took off. There was a bang, sparks and she rattled the entire time.

"Whoa! What's that?", Martha asked.

"We're accelerating into the future. The year one billion."

All three of them were staring at the monitor showing the date in Gallifreyan.

"Five billion", the Doctor kept reading aloud, "Five trillion. Fifty trillion?"

"That's impossible", the Oracle said.

"What? The year one hundred trillion? That is impossible."

"Why? What happens then?", Martha asked.

"No one knows", the Oracle said and Martha stared at her, "The end of the universe."

"Well, we've landed", the Doctor commented.

"So what's out there?", Martha asked.

"I don't know."

"Huh. Say that again. That's rare", Martha laughed and the Oracle joined in.

"Not even Time Lords came this far. We should leave. We should go. We should really, really... go."

Then he grinned and made his way to the door, Martha following, but the Oracle stopped them. "Wait. Doctor. End of the universe. Let me do an environment check. Just this once."

He grabbed the handle and turned back to her. She smiled, pressed a couple buttons and looked at the monitor.

"Safe-ish environment. Bit polluted, shouldn't stay out for too long. But there's life out there somewhere", she read aloud.