5. Little brother and sister

Anna POV

Grandpa sent me home after he found me in autopsy. Or rather, when Ducky told him I was in autopsy.

I sent Mom and Dad a text as I was driving home in Mom’s old Mustang (now my old Mustang) that I was going to pick up Jay and Tom from high school.

I also called Sammy, and told him to meet me at Mom and Dad’s house. They were going to be late home and Grandpa told me to discuss the… situation with my siblings before we tried to persuade our parents.

I pulled up outside Anacostia High School, just across the Anacostia River, and waited for Jay. She was always out first, even when she stayed after school to pick up all her art stuff. That was all she did, she was the creative one – that and playing the piano. Jay’s drawings were amazing, she’d won awards before.

Tom, however, was football mad and was always late from the changing rooms after practice. I really didn’t like all his sweaty football mates trying to hit on the ‘federal agent’, so as soon as he got in the car, I was leaving. As expected, Jay came out half an hour after the bell went, struggling under all of her paints, canvases and brushes.

‘Hey, little sis,’ I grinned, picking a stack of canvases off the top of the pile and placing them in the trunk.

‘Please, don’t call me that,’ she replied, in her adorable little quiet voice, with a huge smile.

‘What have you been working on?’ I asked, nodding to her book as we leant against the hood, waiting for Tom.

She opened the book to show me her paintings. On the first page, was a watercolour – a girl on a swing with long dark hair, and a black leather jacket. I recognised the jacket as mine. The painting was from the back though, so you couldn’t see the face.

‘Jay, is this me?’ I asked, smiling down at her.

‘Yeah, it is,’ she grinned back shyly. ‘My teacher wants me to enter it into this national award thing, but I’m not sure.’

‘Jay, it’s amazing! You need to enter it!’ I exclaimed.

She showed me the rest of the artwork in the book. An eye made of fire, a huge, bare tree filled with crows, and so many more. They were amazing!

I was about to voice my opinions, but Tom and the entire Anacostia High football team came jostling through the doors. Just like Grandpa, I knew how to make an incredibly high whistle, so I told Jay to cover her ears, put two fingers in my mouth and let out a shrill whistle.

‘Oi! Peyton Manning! get your ass over here!’ I yelled.

He patted a few of his teammates on the back and jogged over.

‘How was practice?’ Jay asked.

‘Yeah, we’ve got a game on Saturday, and we are going to thrash them!’ Tom said excitedly, waving his arms about.

‘Good for you, little bro, but please put your arms down – your pits reek,’ I slowly lowered his arms, and gestured to the car. ‘Come on, get in.’

‘Shotgun!’ Tom yelled.

‘Nuh uh, Pit Stains, Jay gets to ride up front,’ I flicked his head and pointed to the rear door.

He just sighed and got in the back. If it was anyone else, namely Sam, Mom or Dad, he would’ve tried it on, but not with me. He knows he won’t get anywhere.

‘So what brings the pleasure of you picking us up? It only happens once in a blue moon,’ Jay smiled. I sighed.

‘Sam’s at home. There’s, uh, something we need to discuss…’

A/N: big chapter next! pic on the side is Jay :)

comment, vote, follow! :)