The News is All Doom and Gloom

"Why is it so bloody hot?" Severus moaned as he shaded his pale skin with his hand. The dark sunglasses he was sporting hid the displeasure at England's rampant summer from you but his picky attitude was enough.

"Here, lick this, it'll make you happier." You pushed the chocolate ice cream towards his face, he'd not wanted his own one, so you had decided upon two scoops, knowing he'd cave soon enough. And he did, taking it from you before he partook in the cooling chocolate treat.

He eventually passed it back but didn't seem particularly happier. Not that you could blame him. It was a ridiculously hot day. The sun was high in the clear blue sky and shade was like gold dust to find. He was wearing a light blue linen shirt and after much deliberation and a lot of persuasion, he donned the black shorts you had bought. He drew the line at that though, refusing to even consider flip flips.

You were feeling much cooler in the light coral summer dress and flip-flops as you walked towards the beach, finishing off your ice cream. Severus was equipped with a picnic blanket, umbrella, and book for him to hide under for most of the day.

It was a small, sandy cove that was used mostly by locals throughout the year and a small influx of tourists in the summer, according to your B&B owners. Even though it was a bit of a walk from where you could park the car, and the path that led down to the beach was a tad rocky for flip-flops. it was perfect. Severus trailed behind you, his hand softly holding yours as you lead the way further down the path.

Once down there, you kicked off your flip-flops and let your feet glide through the warm sand, and breathed in deeply the fresh breeze that rolled in with the sway of the sea. Severus looked around, grumbling slightly at the softer ground below him, his usual worry of watching eyes playing through his mind. That worry did not touch you. As far you were concerned, people saw you like two people out at the beach on a hot summer's day, ready to enjoy it.

"Over there looks good and it's devoid of other people," Severus said lowering his glasses and pointing towards the left-hand side of the cove.

You nodded your head in reply and continued on. Severus looked over his shoulder as you were near to the area he had picked out. He removed the backpack from his back and retrieved the picnic blanket, spreading it out over the sandy ground staked the bottom of the umbrella into it too, and then set a little spell so it wouldn't come dislodged.

"I suppose that will have to do," he said with his hands resting on his hips.

"I'm guessing camping is out of the question then?" you asked as a joke, already knowing what his answer would be.

"Not muggle camping," he huffed.

"Oh, that's progress," you replied impressed as he shut the backpack up and sat himself down on the picnic blanket.

Sitting next to him, you kissed the top of his arm and then rested your head on it. Severus had never been to the seaside; holidays weren't a thing in his childhood and it wasn't like the Deatheaters had a yearly retreat. He took off his sunglasses and watched the tide roll in softly, quite mesmerised at the simple yet calming nature of it. He didn't notice immediately that you were watching him.

When he finally did, he leaned down and kissed the end of your nose.

"Okay, I'll admit. It's quite nice." His voice was quiet and the smile on his face small but you could sense his happiness.

"I'm glad you like it. Now, you have to take your shoes off."

"What?" Severus tutted with surprise.