Chapter Nineteen- Cabin Fever

Kurenai knocked on the green apartment door three times, flipping her loose hair over her shoulder when she finished. Her poppy-red eyes scanned the hallway she waited in, and shifted her weight to her right heel.
"Good morning," Mei greeted sleepily a few minutes later. She rubbed her tired eyes with the palm of one hand, and leaned against the doorframe with the other.
"Good afternoon." Kurenai corrected, a playful smile on her lips. "I'm sorry I haven't been over sooner. I've been swamped with missions this whole week."
Her friend moved aside to let her in. "Don't worry about it, I've been thinking of ways to entertain myself. Books, a couple movie nights, random solo walks...."

Her words were true, though she didn't mention the fact that Kakashi had been coming over late and leaving in the early hours of the morning most nights. The two had been spending their time either on the couch watching her favorite movies, or in secluded parts of the forest reading. At first, they were both timid, sitting with a few inches of distance between them. Over the next few nights they inched closer to one another. It took some time for Mei to feel comfortable enough to rest her legs across his lap, with Kakashi's hands resting on her shins.
However, last night, he has his arm around her from the start of the movie. It took more willpower than she'd like to admit for her to not be so giddy as she leaned into him. Kakashi had to remind himself to keep his heartbeat steady when she eventually laid her head on his shoulder. And before he left, Kakashi tucked that agitating strand of hair behind her ear. His fingers lingered in her hair until he eventually pinched her cheek and left; leaving her standing on the balcony with a flushed face.

Meilani turned on the stove for some tea.
"How've you been?"
"I've been worried sick about you." She admitted, taking a seat on the couch. "You looked terrible when I last saw you. I was relieved to hear you were discharged from Naruto."
"I'm perfectly fine now, maybe a little stir crazy. I haven't gone out much."
"Let's go out tonight! I have tomorrow off." Kurenai said excitedly. Meilani gleamed at her friend.
"Hell yeah! I've missed you."
Kurenai had a peculiar look on her face. She held one of the white decorative pillows to her chest. "Mei, I have to tell you something." She watched her friend's expression turn serious, and chuckled as she rushed to her side and lean in. "It's nothing bad, it's.... The opposite." Kurenai leaned closer even though they were alone. "Last night, Asuma and I, we...."

Kurenai's hands slammed over Mei's mouth as she let out an enthusiastic squeal.
"I fucking knew it!" She muffled into her hand.
"Shut the hell up!"
Meilani giggled childishly into her pillow, kicking her feet as Kurenai's face turned as red as her eyes. "Was he your first?" She nodded. Mei ran back to the kitchen to finish preparing the tea. "I'm delighted for you, Kurenai. He better treat you well."
"He does... Hey," Kurenai blew the steam away from her tea before she continued. Mei did the same, acting aloof towards the question she was preparing to ask. "Um.... Has something happened between you and Kakashi?"

Kurenai watched her friend's reaction patiently. Meilani slowly blew and sipped on her tea.
"What makes you think that?"
"The way he held you after you passed out. And," Kurenai fought back a smile, and failed. "I thought I saw him sneak out of your hospital room one night."
Meilani smiled into her cup. Kurenai leaned in with a smirk. "Don't look at me like that! You can't tell anyone."

****

Kakashi laid down lazily on a tree branch while overlooking Sasuke and Sakura's separate training exercises. The lack of disruptions due to Naruto's absence was unusual, and it gave them more time to actually train than they were used to.
"Why don't we take a break soon? We can regroup in an hour, after lunch."
He snuck off while Sakura attempted to get a lunch date out of the Uchiha boy. He wasn't that hungry, and he wondered if Meilani had eaten yet. He scanned the food booths when he eventually made his way further into town, book in hand. His feet slowed down just a hair as he passed by the flower shop.
He opened his book but only pretended to read the pages. Instead, his mind replayed the time he's spent with Mei the past few nights. As well as her words to comfort him into thinking her near-death experience wasn't his fault. But the truth is, he was still afraid. Not of the butterflies in his stomach that linger while on his way to her balcony. Or of the way his heart quickens when he makes her laugh or smile.