Chapter 4 - Suns

* * *

Jess gave a heavy breath and let her eyes slide open to glare at the ceiling. For someone who was so whole heartily insistent that Jess needed to take a nap and rest. Emily was being quite loud in her room next door.

Another man had followed in with Emily earlier, to which she introduced as Charles. From their closeness, Jess could only assume they knew each other. Though at the time she didn't press for more information, she would have to ask Emily in private later. Not that she had the opportunity to inquire about their relationship anyway, or anything else for that matter. As soon as she came in Emily closed the curtains uptight and pushed for her to rest.

With her raging headache, Jess didn't argue much. Plus, if Emily actually knew these people it did make Jess feel more at ease. Though it was hard to ignore that anxious feeling deep in her gut.

Sure, Emily was bubbly, an overly attentive person, but Jess couldn't help but hold onto the suspicion that rolled around in her gut.

Who were these people? What happened? When did they get here? Where was here exactly? How did any of this happen?

Well with all these what-ifs racing around, she wasn't getting any rest even if she did want to. Not that she exactly felt fully comfortable in this place. She glanced around at the bed curtains. Who the hell had bed curtains nowadays.

What she assumed was a guest room was a decent size. Hell, it was bigger than her bedroom back in her little apartment. Glancing around at the ornate finishings, everything screamed expensive. From the possibly hand-carved molding, down to the braided tassels holding back the curtains and the stone fireplace. She had the strongest urge to keep her hands in her pockets, in case she broke something.

The little worm in the back of her brain warned her about it too. 'You break something, you'll be going back to eating cheap noodles for months.'

She glanced at the ornate doorknob. 'Years more like it'. Her nose scrunched up, not fond of the possibility.

A loud thump, that made the floor vibrate, made her jump in surprise.

Sitting up now she squinted in confusion at the wall dividing hers and Emily's rooms. Jess had let the loud talking slide by, but the possibility that the conversation had turned violent immediately peeked her attention.

While the walls were thin enough to hear an argument happening Jess couldn't pick up what they were saying even when she stood close to the wall.

She quickly exited the room and headed to her friend, her protective instincts kicking in. Even if they were intruding on Emily's acquaintance it was no need to yell at her. Plus with the possibility of violence now being involved, she was sure as hell going in.

Midway down the hall, the conversation could be picked out easier now.

Even before reaching the door, she froze as she heard Lord Simon's voice growl out, sounding frustrated, bordering on agitation.

"What do you mean she doesn't know of other worlds? Do you even know how problematic this is, even if a portion of what you are telling us is true?" Lord Simon growled.

"Again, I told you, I can't talk about it besides what I've already told you. Even that is too much. I need to get her back as soon as possible, and to do that I need to go to the tower in Bundern," Emily growled right back.

"And you expect me to house, whatever she is, in my home till you get back?!" Simon spat.

"My friend..." Charles spoke up trying to smooth out the conversation but was cut off.