Chapter 3

The only lights you were gonna find were the dying street lights. Everything else seemed to be plunged in an abyss of darkness. Somewhere you didn't wanna go.

The star of the street was Olympia, the beacon for all people to unite. Whether you were rich or poor, Olympia was the place: everyone wanted to work there and everyone wanted to be there. I happened to have a job at Olympia at the time, and I got it when the club was just getting started. I'd been in there for nearly 4 years at that point, and it was safe to say that I had seen a lot. Whether it was drunk idiots getting into fights, ladies attempting to steal things, or people so wasted that they couldn't walk, I had seen it all. On this particular evening, however, my life turned around.

"Evening Joe!" Joe was the bartender at the time. He and I were good friends for a long while. "Evening Coco, have you seen Ella?" Ella, my old friend and a server at the time, was another waitress who had a reputation for being late. "Honestly, are you surprised she's not here yet? Ella is always late" We laughed. Five minutes later, panting and stumbling all over the place, came Ella. Ella was a very happy person; she was very content with her life. She had a boyfriend, a nice apartment and dogs too. Her day job was a dance teacher, and she loved it. That was another person I was very envious of, though I never said so. "Late again Ella?" Joe said in a sarcastic tone. "Sorry Joe, I just had some news that's all!" I raised my eyebrows. "What kind of news Ella?" She shuffled her toes a little, then looked up at us. "Me and Tom have been trying for a baby as you know, and-" My face lit up. "I'm pregnant!" We both yelled our congratulations and hugged her tight. Still, my envy often gets the better of me and a twinge inside of me made me even more jealous. I wish it would just fuck off sometimes, literally.

"No more extra little shots for you then!" Ella laughed. "I'll come back you know, I'm not gonna quit." Now it was my turn to laugh. "You better not." Just as I was chatting with Ella about the baby before our shift started, Joe came over to us. "Ok, so who's the lucky person going into the VIP room tonight!" Both of us groaned. "Those rich bastards can serve their own drinks, I'm not in any frame of mind to get my ass slapped by some 50 year old man." Ella snapped. "Well you'll be glad to know that it isn't you today Ella." I looked up. "Is it gonna be Katie or Lou again? They like them." Joe traced his crafty fingers down the sheet. "Only one server tonight... that's odd." I started to polish a few glasses myself whilst waiting for a few orders to take. Joe gasped after a second. He looked up. "What Joe?" He gulped. "Get your ass in gear Coco. You're up." I had only ever been into the VIP room once, and they didn't let me in there because they thought I was some kind of hooker. I tutted. "Alright then, give me the drinks." Joe shook his head. "They've opened a new personal bar in there now, but they're still doing the swapping servers thing. You're gonna serve drinks in there for tonight." I rolled my eyes: how hard could it be?

I strutted in my leather boots, tight little black shorts, bustier crop top and the cat eyed server mask towards the infamous VIP room. I knocked on the door, showed my clearance to the guard who was eyeing me in all the wrong places, and entered the building.

Lights of a thousand colours flashed everywhere. Music boomed from golden plated stereos and fancy sound systems too. People dressed in the most magnificent yet bizarre things I had ever laid my eyes on. The spiral staircases led to lit seating areas with lap dancers and private compartments. Body guards circulated everywhere, and people's diamond encrusted jewellery gleamed in the strobe lights. But the most attractive thing of all was the bar. The half circle bar had diamonds in pale blue encrusted all over it in a variety of shapes and sizes. Steam came off the surface, and pale blue LED lights lit every corner of it. Behind the seating area of the bar was shelves of frosted glass with thousands of spirits and drinks on it that barley anyone could afford in the real world. Since it was against the wall, there was also a statement piece above these shelves; what looked like shards of massive blue diamonds spreading up the wall was a montage of diamonds and blue mirrors to create an effect. The bar tender was very different to Joe: he wore a sparkling gold sequin suit and a purple wig that went up like a mr whippy. He wore visor styled black sunglasses and laughed without a care in the world as he shook up cocktails in his happy place.