Running Home

Even after the teenagers make it into town and stop walking, Inosuke refuses to let go of Tanjirou's hand, and the redhead would be lying if he said he didn't like allowing himself to indulge in the minuscule action.

Inosuke's hand is large and warm in his but not in an unpleasant way. It feels weighty and familiar, like it's supposed to be there.

The more Tanjirou thinks about it; it feels kind of like their bodies and minds are made for each other.

But it's not fair of him to think that way.

So after absorbing a bit more of Inosuke's warmth than he deems necessary, Tanjirou drops his hand and chooses to ignore how Inosuke almost looks disappointed by looking around.

In doing so, the local boy realizes precisely where they are when the heavenly smell of authentic udon wafts through the air around him. He turns around to see the familiar face of the resident old man who runs the stall standing behind the counter, and he lights up as he pulls out his wallet to order two bowls.

Inosuke tries to snatch Tanjirou's wallet and pay himself, but the redhead smacks the ravenette's forehead with his own, though gentler than usual. Inosuke retreats but not without grumbled words of detest and some things Tanjirou can't quite make out.

Because he thinks he hears the word 'date' somewhere in the mix, and he has to be imagining that. Reason one being Inosuke would never ask him out, and reason two being he vowed not to let himself get involved like that with the foreigner.

Though somewhere in the back of his mind Tanjirou allows himself to hope for something he thinks is unattainable, no matter how selfish it makes him feel.

When Tanjirou hands Inosuke his bowl of udon, a soft dusting of pink presents itself on his pale skin, and Tanjirou has to remind himself of the steps required for breathing.

They find a cute small table by the shop with weathered wood once painted a bright pink and decide to sit there. Before Tanjirou can break apart his disposable chopsticks, Inosuke is almost done with his entire bowl.

The broth is smeared around his mouth, and Tanjirou laughs into his hand softly. His shoulders shake gently, and he knows he's obviously smiling with the way the corners of his eyes crease, even if he tries to hide it.

Then suddenly, Inosuke is choking, and Tanjirou jumps into action smacking the other teenager's back until he takes a normal deep breath.

"Maybe that's a sign you shouldn't eat so fast," Tanjirou chuckles with a concerned smile as he cautiously relaxes into his seat.

"I'll eat however fast I want. Nothing's gonna take me out, Gonpachiro." Inosuke puffs up his chest and starts downing the rest of his bowl, facing away from the redhead this time, and Tanjirou decides to start eating as well.

When the two boys finish their food, they chat idly over their empty bowls about a little bit of everything.

Tanjirou's family, Inosuke's animals back on the farm, what they want to do when they get older, and even how each of them came out.

(One day, Tanjirou just brought home a boy from his class freshman year and told his family how he didn't care about gender.

Inosuke, on the other hand, gruffly stated, "Yeah, I like men." while watching Magic Mike on a different visit to his aunt's.)

They've since moved on from the udon stand in favor of walking around the cobblestone paths closer to the beach, enjoying the sun as it shines down on them.

"I can't believe you bathed in the mud pit as a toddler," Tanjirou laughs loudly as a wide smile stretches across his lips.

"Well, I was convinced that I was one with the animals, and I still am." The redhead can see Inosuke swallow thickly even as he returns his smile.