Chapter 13

When I got home, I hurled all of my books onto the dining table. My arms ache, and my muscles are numb from the short trip. I imagine Kyle doing it because he would make it look easy. I drool thinking about it.

I never stay downstairs because I always go straight to my room without giving it a thought. The thought of Kyle coming over and the invitation to the Halloween party makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter. I hope this isn't a sickening trick from Gemma, manipulating Kyle to get me to attend.

Or he might be a part of this scheme as well, which would break my heart. It has the potential to change how I feel about Kyle, which would be a good thing.

I'm grateful for a mirror in the hallway where I can check my face for spots, red blemishes, and mascara smudges. I'm brushing my hair and using my fingertips to remove the hat hair.

After that, I sat in one of the chairs, my elbows leaning on the table. As I'm waiting, I'm thinking about Scarlett Red's escape when the door unexpectedly opens.

'Hey Lou, you here?' I hear his deep voice as he walks in, flushed and clutching a bag. The way he walks in like he used to, it felt like nothing has happened for the last four years.

'In the dining room.' I yelled.

'Did you get the books we need?' He then places the bag on the table.

'Yes. What's in the bag?'

'Brought some snacks and drinks. Thought you might like it.'

Like a magician, an object of delightful sugar pop and snacks appears all favourites of mine. My spine tingles at the thought of him remembering so much.

He remembers.

'Thank you, but you know I had food in the house.'

He smirks, 'Yeah, but I bet you didn't have these.'

For his final trick, he pulls out the chocolate brownie from the café. The one I go to with my friends on Tuesdays.

Why can't you be single and not have a girlfriend? I would have kissed you by now.

'That's lovely of you. Thank you.' I manage to say.

He sinks into the chair next to me, twisting his drink's bottle cap. It takes my breath away to see Kyle making himself at home in my house after all these years.

'Right, let's get it done.' He speaks, and his enthusiasm is exactly what I need for this project.

An hour later, my brain hurts from the work and the sugar, as I ate a lot, but not as much as Kyle; he ate twice as much as me. Then again, he does more exercise.

He noticed that my attention span was non-existent, so he reverted to a general conversation.

'So, have you thought about the Halloween party tomorrow?'

'I don't know... not too sure, to be honest.' I respond, covering my face with my hair because I blush whenever I look at him.

'You can bring a friend along if you want?' He says to me.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm almost tempted to just go to Bens because I know it'll be safe.

'As long as it's a girl, not a guy.' He chuckles.

'I'll ask, but I don't think-'

'Great. I'll send the address.' He cuts me off, 'I can't wait for you to see my costume.'

I raise an eyebrow, 'What is it?'

Kyle smirks, 'Not telling you unless you come to the party.'

I rolled my eyes. 'Kyle. You know I don't like waiting.'

'Patience is key, Lou. Patience...' He teases. Then his smile disappears, and he moves his body to open up towards me, looking uncomfortable. '..Like when I have to wait for the stars to come out a night.'

'Do you still do that? Look through your telescope?'

'Not as much as I used to. You know, with training and that.' He tries to sip his drink, but it misses his mouth, spilling it all over his white t-shirt. 'Damn it!' I try not to laugh, but he does, which makes me giggle as well.

'Do you need another shirt?' I asked, and he gets up and walks to the kitchen.

'No, it's ok,' he takes off his shirt with ease, 'I'll just put it under the tap for a second.'

As a close-up view of his muscular body turned my legs to jelly, I couldn't help but stare. Even though I had seen him through the window a few days before, seeing him up close left me hyperventilating. The sunbeams through the kitchen window cast a shadow on each muscle, and I pray I'm not drooling. I'm blushing to touch the almost six-pack around his stomach.

As he finished rinsing the shirt, he puts it back on and sticks to his muscular chest. When Kyle returned to sit, my mind went blank, and I couldn't think clearly.

Get it together, Lou!

'I heard it's a clear sky tonight. Why don't you go out this evening to look?' I said, and it's probably not true. I'll do anything to stop the heat from my body rising.

'I can't. I'm going to meet Gemma in a bit. It's date night.' Kyle says with a hint of disappointment. Or at least I think he did.

'Oh, that's a shame.'

'Yeah, I would take her, but she doesn't like that sort of thing.'

'How do you know that?'

'She told me before.'

What a bitch, I thought to myself.

'I would go with you if you asked.' I said on the spur of the moment.

What am I doing? I'm having trouble thinking clearly. I want him close by all the time because he makes all the negative stuff go away. When he mentions Gemma, however, her harsh remarks resurface in the back of my mind.

'I know.' He says quietly and leans in a little bit closer to me as I observe the details in those aqua eyes. I can smell his aftershave and see his slight stubble coming through.

'I loved it when you used to tell me about the stars; it was comforting.' I speak softly.

'I miss talking about it...' He studies my face more closely, and I'm wondering if he notices how badly I crave for his lips. '...I miss telling them to you.' His whispering words make my body shiver.

I want him so bad.

'I miss it too.' I whisper and draw closer, but he doesn't move away. It's going to happen. I'm going to kiss Kyle...

'Hello?...' I hear my moms booming voice through the house. We lose our connection, and I lose him. That was my only chance, and my mom bloody blew it.

'...Hello, Kyle. You stopping by for dinner?'

The distance between us grew even wider.

'No thanks, I'm just about to head out.' He gave a quick look at me, and I'm blushing all over. 'I'll see you at school and the party tomorrow, yeah?' He gathers his belongings and dashes out the door.

I'm not sure if my heart is hurting or racing from the excitement as I watch him walk away.

'What party?' My mom asks me. I sigh and explain it's nothing special.

She wanted to know more and help me plan a costume. I decline and retreat to my room to relive Kyle's last words to me.

'I miss telling them to you....'

That moment, just like it was in biology class earlier. The spark that we can't control, the curiosity on what it be like if we are loved by one another. I'm confident that Kyle senses it too.

Is that a sign? Meaning we are made for each other.

Or am I reading in between the lines too much?