𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:GET THEM ALIVE

GET THEM ALIVE

     "JOHN SAID IF YOU BREAK this one, then you can get your own." Artemis entered the room, hands in her pockets as she watched her mother slam her fist against the punching bag. She cocked her head slightly, watching as her mother barely glanced her way. Artemis sighed before walking over to her mother and grabbing her wrist before she could hit the bag again. Aphrodite looked at her daughter. "Meeting's starting, alright? Murder the punching bag later."

Aphrodite sighed before unwrapping her hands and following her daughter out of the room and into the room in which John had gathered a couple of mutants. He glanced up at the woman, only to find she wouldn't meet his nor Sonya's gaze. John looked at Artemis who simply gave him an apologetic look. He sighed before nodding his head.

    "We know that Lorna is being held in a cell at the Sentinel Services Regional Headquarters." John started. "We believe that Reed Strucker is there with her. They're being moved soon to an ultra secure facility. And we don't know much about it, except that the people who go don't come back. That's why we got to move now. And I'm not gonna sugarcoat this. We're talking about attacking the Sentinel Services."

     "We lost six people the last time we went up against them directly." Sage spoke up, and Aphrodite closed her eyes at the memory.

     "I know that better than anyone."

     Marcos shook his head. "It won't be like last time."

     "You're right. Last time, we just hit a relocation center with a fence and some guard towers. This time it's a prison. Their systems have improved. Extrapolating from other attacks, we've got an 86.5% chance of failure."

     "And a 13.5% chance of success." Artemis pointed out. "We've done better with worse odds."

     "And if we do nothing, then there's a 100% chance we never see them again." Marcos added.

     That's when Caitlin spoke up. "I know we're new here, but please."

     Marcos looked at the group of mutants. "Lorna's risked her life for everyone in this room. Harry, your parents would be dead without her. Sage, she pulled you out of a gutter, and she got you clean. I mean, she's. . . she needs us."

     "Doesn't change the math, Marcos." Sage shook her head.

     "I don't care about the math. I care about Lorna. Who's with me?" Marcos looked at the group and Sonya was the first to speak up.

     "I'm in." Harry raised his hand as well. And then Clarice. No one else said anything, and Artemis couldn't help but look down at her mother with a deep frown. She watched as Aphrodite stood up.

     "Mom." Artemis called after her, and Aphrodite didn't say anything, only walked down the steps. Artemis looked between John and Sonya, narrowing her eyes for a moment as she looked at her aunt before a scoff fell from her lips, barely paying attention to the other mutants as they departed. "What did you do?" Sonya looked at Artemis with a guilty look before watching the teenager stand up and turn to John and Marcos. "Mom and I are in, just give me a second to find her before she kills a poor tree."