Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It seemed like after Alec was done inspecting, he already went home leaving only Jared and me alone. We were both holding our drinks as we say some small talks to break the silence.

“He’s not coming back.” I uttered.

“Let him.” He lightheartedly answered and drank the remaining liquor from the bottle in a shot. I also emptied the remaining bottle and lined it up with the pile of liquor.

There are cleaners before sunrise so they can take care of it. “He’s probably cooling his head.” He stood up and cannot help his yawn. Tumayo na rin ako at nagsimulang maglakad pabalik sa cabin. Jared offered to walk with me since his house is also near the cabins.

“Then he really is weak against things like that.”

“Well, I’ve been with him ever since he came here. Kahit madaming babae ang lumalapit sa kanya ay hindi ko pa siyang nakikitang pumatol kahit isa.” Sumipol siya at umiling.

“Really?” Tinignan ko siya sa gilid ng aking mga mata. He chuckled.

“Anong narinig kanina. You almost drowned?”

”I prefer not talking about that.” Ngiti ko. Tumikom ang bibig niya at nang malapit na kami sa cabin ko ay humarap ako sa kanya. “We’re here. Thanks.” I nodded.

“Well, have a good rest.” He casually nodded and let out a smile. Nang umalis na siya ay saka na rin ako pumasok sa kwarto. Nang binuksan ko ang ilaw ay muntikan na akong mapatalon nang makita ang babaeng nakaupo sa kamang nag-aabang sa akin. Her expression is dim and scary that made me awkwardly smiled.

That almost took my breath away.

“Lu.Na?” She tilted her head, giving a deadly stare. Napalunok ako.

“Riava...” It’s my mistake. I thought she already went to purchase a cabin since the lights were off. I just hope she didn’t heard about what Jared slipped earlier.

“What did I just hear about drowning?” She sternly asked and crossed her hands. I mentally clicked my tongue.

Speaking of the devil, what a stroke of luck! Now that it has come to this...

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I innocently shrugged it and widely smiled. Hindi siya natinag habang nanatili lamang akong nakangiti na parang hindi alam ang sinasabi niya.

“I may not have understand what you talked about in your language but I clearly heard that you drowned.” My shoulders dropped.

I knew it, it won’t work to my sharp sister.

“I-It’s not...” Napaiwas ako ng tingin. Bumaba ang aking boses at ang ulo ko.

“Well, let’s hear how you almost drowned.” She authoritatively retorted. And just like that, I was forced to tell my near-death experience. Masama lang ang tingin niya sa akin habang sinasabi ko pero hindi ko maitigil dahil lalong mamamatay ako sa talas ng tingin niya kung ganon.

It is not like I cannot blame her. Mom died after five years that they’ve been together. Within those years, they have also became quite close that blood doesn’t matter between us. Riava is also older than me so when Mom died of hereditary cancer, Riava decided to have me under her responsibility. Though my only parent is now Riava’s father, also my stepfather, she sometimes act as a mother to me. Her sense of responsibility is strong towards me that makes a her foolish.

“Riava?” Napakunot ang noo ko nang makitang nanginginig ang mga balikat niya. I cannot tell her expression well since she’s facing the floor. Aabutin ko sana siya ngunit bigla niyang tinaas ang mukha niya.