Act 1: Part 3: Bruja's Book

On your walk home from school, you pause in front of the corner store you always avoided. When you were younger, you remember watching three boys trying to steal from the blind owner who had just opened the store. Before they could even leave her store, she chased them out with a broom.

Bruja.

She gained the reputation of being a witch who could use her powers to determine who was trying to steal from her. There are other whispers about her of dark magic and people who suddenly disappeared after visiting her store. You were never the one to tempt fate, but as you stare into the window case of the Bruja's store you want to forget every warning you've ever heard about her store.

10 Secrets to Making Lifelong Friends

The book sits there innocently in the window case as it unknowingly causes turmoil in your head. You know that you should walk away. You know you shouldn't be considering walking into the Bruja's store, but every rational thought leaves your head and suddenly you're inside the store turning the book around to check the price.

$11.99

It's a ridiculous item to spend all your savings on. An item that would cause much embarrassment if anyone would ever find out this is what you entered the Bruja's store to buy, but you leave the store $12 poorer and the book hidden at the bottom of your backpack.

~~~~~

You shiver as the wind picks up around you. You weren't aware that it was going to rain when you agreed to stay an extra hour after school with Beck, but you had finally made a breakthrough with your script, and the fear of forgetting the words you wanted to write made you easily agree to a late bus ride and an even later walk home. Your calm walk becomes a light jog as the dark clouds take over the sky and the sound of thunder fills your ears. A gentle rain begins to pour down just as you open your front door.

The TV blares from the living room and a lone figure sits right in front of it. You place your backpack onto the floor and spot a small stack of one-dollar bills at the edge of the coffee table. You make your way to grab it when another hand slams onto the money.

"Where were you?" The dark room is brightened with a flash of lightning and you flinch at the sound of thunder. "Are you deaf? I asked you a question."

You answer softly, "I stayed after school to study with a classmate."

Your mother's boyfriend Chris scuffs, "Is that what they call it now?" He looks up and down your damp clothes. He repeats, "Staying after school to study."

Your head tips forward in an attempt to cover your chest with your hair. You ignore his implications and motion towards the money. "That's mine."

He picks up the money and questions, "This is yours?" as if he was unaware of the unspoken routine between you and your mother. The room becomes silent as he pauses his video game and laughs, "I didn't know you had a job."

You bite your tongue before you can point out the fact that Chris doesn't have a job either. You sigh heavily. "I don't."

He smirks and tucks away the money in his pocket. "Then, I guess you have no money."

"I need to buy food." you protest.

"Then, go buy food." He let out a laugh and jokingly hit his head. "Oh wait, you don't have any money. That's a shame."

You curl your hands in a fist and ask, "Where's my mom?"

He turns away from you to yell out into the dark hall, "Noemi!" Your whole body tenses but when no one answers he shrugs his shoulders. "Guess she's not here."