s a p o d i l l a

"So let me get this straight, you're suddenly interested in the nerd who wears glasses and has no friends. A lowlife, in other words. Really?" Nandi helps me adjust my wig, and I peep over her shoulder to glance at the adjustment through the restroom mirror.

It's another lovely morning, or what I'd like it to be, but I rushed out the house when I heard my parents arguing yet again. I don't need that sort of energy this morning or any other morning for that matter. So yes, my wig wasn't adjusted and I may have been looking like a hot mess moments prior to this, but right now I look as hot as the next meal ready to be served.

I hope he likes my appearance today. I decided to look different, wear all pink. Pink mini skirt, pink crop top over a bright pink long sleeve. My shoes are white though, but that's fine because my socks are pink. Pink clips in my Bob wig, and pink lipstick — even have pink sparkles on my eyelids. I've dressed to impress.

"Listen, I never judge you guys with the people you're interested in. Matter of fact I don't even question the people you both sleep with, so leave me to like who I want." I comb my fingers through the strands in the front to have it more to my face. "Besides, you are the one who said find a different person I could like. Francois is busy with his girl, let me be with my man."

Vicky, who chuckles not too far from us, taps her feet on the ground as she patiently waits for us to finish up. "Should we even identify him as a man?"

"Yes, we should. He is a man. You just remain looking at the outside when you should look within."

"Within what? His clothes? You hardly even know him, dude, you just met him and already you're making it seem like he's your lover-"

"Maybe he is!"

"He's not. You're just infatuated, and I fail to see what of him is that good." Nandi steps back from me, sighing as she adjusts my jersey. "This time, find another. A proper one, friend."

"No thank you. I like this guy, and I know he will like me back. It's just a matter of time until he does, and I get over Francois, but! I am happy where I am." I lick my lips before pulling out my small tub of Vaseline. "He gives me a challenge, and boy do I love challenges. And even the way he looks at me, the way he speaks to me. You guys should see it, he likes me. He's just playing hard to get."

I rub some Vaseline on my pink lips carefully so it doesn't mess up. Nandi takes some from the tub and rubs on her lips as well. Very soon, Vicky steps up and takes from the tub. It's like a community service here.

"Hard to get or easy to understand? Because knowing you, you'll force a situation that isn't meant to be."

"No, Vicky. I'm not forcing anything. I know what I'm doing and I know he's playing hard to get." I close the tub and put it in the front pocket of my bag. I then fish for my phone before motioning for them to get by me so I can take pictures.

That goes pretty well. Of course, with them still insisting I find another person worth my time.

The first two morning sessions go by quite quickly. Mostly because I don't even pay attention, but also because it simply goes by fast. So when lunch time rolls by, I contemplate whether or not to hunt down my friends, or hunt down the only other person I want to see.

I decide to spend a good amount of time with my friends, eating my food and theirs as we fall in small talk. Mostly because Nandi has her sudden boy toy all over her, and Vicky and I can't seem to gossip about him when he's there. But soon, I decide to part ways with them, promising to meet them after school so we could go get a few essentials Nandi has been saying she's in need of.

I quickly speed to the lady's restroom, pee, wash my hands and spray an excessive amount of vanilla deodorant to make sure he smells it with just one whiff in my direction. Then I exit the restroom, already attracting onlookers as I make my way down familiar paths towards my destination. I can bet he's in the garden, sitting alone, waiting for me.