𝐗𝐈𝐗.

CHAPTER 19

CHAPTER 19

Just Sisters

     Nina's pupils dilated as soon as the parem entered her system. Something changed in the air as the power shifted to the Heartrender in front of Brynn. Even though she was half-naked, Nina couldn't have looked more regal. With a flick of her wrist, Nina killed the Heartrender immediately, crumpling without a sound. "Be free," Brynn heard her whisper.

Nina turned to the soldiers, Matthias moving to protect her as their rifles raised. She lifted her hands. "Stop."

They froze immediately.

"Lay down your arms." They obeyed.

"Sleep," commanded Nina. She swept her hands in an arc, and the soldier toppled over in their slumber without protest, row after row. The air was still and silent, the wind louder than anything else.

Wylan and Inej climbed down from the tank, the rest following. Brynn helped Sasha out, never happier to see her face, even if it was covered in ugly burns. The group stood in stunned silence at the field of fallen bodies. Brynn had seen it herself, but it still didn't feel real.

They had to go through the soldiers to reach the harbor. Without a word, they picked their way through, the faraway bells of the Elderclock breaking the silence. Brynn made sure to keep Sasha close. She might have been thirteen, but Brynn wasn't taking any chances.

When they made it to the Ferolind, the docks were deserted. Brynn didn't bother looking at Specht or Rotty, who were sure to probably have faces slack with fear. She'd seen enough and she just wanted to go home.

"Matthias!"

They turned. A group of drüskelle stood in the quay, their uniforms soaked, their black hoods raised. Their masks were dull, gleaming gray chain mail over their faces, features obscured. The drüskelle at the front was the one who spoke.

"Traitor," he snarled. "Betrayer of your country and your god. You will not leave this harbor alive. None of you will."

Nina raised her hands calmly. "For Matthias, I will give you one chance to leave us be."

"You cannot control us, witch," he said. "Our hoods, our masks, every stitch of clothing we wear is reinforced with Grisha steel. Corecloth created to our specifications by Grisha Fabrikators under our control and designed for just this purpose. You cannot force us to your will. You cannot harm us. This game is at an end."

Nina lifted a hand, and nothing happened. What this drüskelle was saying was true.

"Go!" shouted Matthias. "Please! You—"

The drüskelle in the front lifted his gun and fired. The bullet hit Matthias in his chest. He stumbled back, then Brynn saw the bullet emerge from his chest. It hit the ground with a plink. Matthias pulled his shirt open, revealing no wound.