Part 2

The rest of the day went by quite quickly. Fortunately, they didn't have to do more introductions, and Futakuchi spent most of the lessons thinking about how to approach Aone without making the boy uncomfortable.

He now sat on the train home, filling in the volleyball club application he got during the lunch break. He was excited for the try-outs the next day, as Date Tech was known as one of the powerhouse schools, which was a chance he couldn't miss out on.

Pleased with the result, he folded the paper and hid it in his bag. He watched the scenery running behind the window when he noticed a reflection of white hair in the glass. He looked over, and sure enough, he spotted Aone sitting not far from him, clutching his bag to his chest and glimpsing nervously around him.

Futakuchi pondered whether he should go to him or not, as there were empty seats at both of his sides, when the train stopped at one of the stations. A mother and a small child got on. The woman scanned the train for empty seats, noticing the ones beside Aone. The boy looked at them with what Futakuchi deciphered as hope in his eyes, which immediately dimmed when the woman grabbed the child's hand and led him away, glancing suspiciously at the white-haired.

Aone visibly curled into himself, sadness clear on his face.

Futakuchi gritted his teeth and got up.

What a heck is wrong with people?

He plopped down on the seat next to him and smiled, nudging Aone's shoulder.

"Hey, big guy. We bump into each other a lot today, huh?"

Aone raised his eyes to him, the sadness changing into surprise and a bit of uncertainty.

"I mean, we literally bumped into each other in the morning, right?"

Aone's face scrunched with guilt, and he bowed his head a few times again. Futakuchi chuckled.

"Hey, don't worry about that. It was my fault I wasn't paying attention. But we didn't even have time to talk at school. See, I didn't even know we live in the same direction. Although, you probably don't do much talking, do you?"

Aone shrugged, squeezing his bag. Futakuchi nudged him with his elbow.

"It's fine. People say I talk for two people anyway. Well, if you don't mind me talking your brain out, of course."

The corners of Aone's eyes crinkled, which Futakuchi took as a good sign.

"Are you going to try for some sports club? You totally should. I bet you are insane in anything physical."

Aone's cheeks turned pink. He took a paper from his bag, handing it to Futakuchi. He looked at the title curiously and smiled upon reading it.

"Volleyball? You play volleyball? No way, me too! That's awesome. What position?"

Aone glanced shyly at the people around before half-raising his hands up in the air. He looked unsure, but Futakuchi understood.

"Middle blocker?"

An enthusiastic nod.

"Cool! You are made for that. I wouldn't want to go against you, y'know? I have a feeling you'd stuff the ball back into my face without much effort at any time."

Aone's cheeks went from pink to bright red. He nodded towards Futakuchi with a raised eyebrow (which Futakuchi noticed he did, in fact, have, they were just very light colour and hard to see from further away).

"Me? I used to be a middle blocker for the first two years of junior high, but the last year I played as an outside hitter. I guess it depends on what the team will need."

Aone grunted in approval. He tilted his head and gestured towards Futakuchi again. Futakuchi furrowed his brows, trying to decipher what that meant.

"Do you ... want to know more about me?" he tried, earning another happy nod and a small smile.

He laughed, quite impressed with his ability to read the other boy's expressions after only a single day.

"Ok, so, anything specific you want to know?"

They spent the rest of the ride in friendly pseudo-dialogue, with Futakuchi doing the talking, sometimes accompanied by nodding or other gestures from Aone. Futakuchi wouldn't even notice it's time for him to get up if not for the conductor's voice, interrupting him mid-sentence. He huffed, annoyed he has to get off the train already for the first time in his life.

"Well, that's my stop. I'm glad we could talk, we should totally hang out sometimes. Anyway, see you tomorrow. Let's do our best at the try-outs, ok?"

He got up, ready to leave when a large hand closed gently around his forearm. He jumped, turning around to meet Aone's eyes. His heart skipped a beat.

"Oh, did I mess something up? S-sorry if I talked too much, I can-"

"Thank you."

Futakuchi's eyes widened, the rough but pleasant voice sending shivers down his spine.

"I ... sure, what for?"

"For sitting with me. And talking."

Futakuchi relaxed and smiled.

"Sure, you're welcome. Let's meet at the train tomorrow morning, what do you say?"

Aone nodded, releasing Futakuchi's arm and returning to his silent self.

Before the train continued to the next station, Futakuchi noticed Aone watching him from the window. He waved at him, getting a shy wave back.

He smiled to himself. This school year was going to be great.