Chapter 2: Lilies

I'll make it for sure, well I hope I can anyway. There is nothing for me back where I came from, I want to forget it and I'm still trying to leave it all behind but maybe it's my mom. Even though I never listened to her advice, I still loved her presence. She's the only thing I regret leaving behind in my journey to leave my problems and my disjointed life.

"Hitotsuyanagi! Get your ass out of bed!!" Instructor Kamano shouted.

I woke up, startled by the shouts of our drill instructor who swiped off the blanket from my body. The instructor then slammed her foot on the bed frame, shouting at me while the other recruits in the room tried to put on their uniforms and make their beds as fast as possible.

"It's your first day and you want to doze off!?"

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to!"

"Sorry to who!? I'm not your mom!"

"No ma'am! You're not my mom, ma'am!"

"What am I to you!?"

"An Instructor ma'am!"

"Then treat me as such!"

"Yes ma'am!"

"You have the next 10 seconds to get dressed and make your bed!"

I quickly sprung out of bed and hastily began to put everything together while the instructor stood staring behind me menacingly. Most of the other girls had already fixed their beds and stood still upright while I barely finished mine just in time for the instructor to gesture me a pass. Thankfully she didn't notice the uneven pillow that laid a little bit to the left from the middle of the bed. The Instructor then called all our names in attendance before sending us off to conduct our morning hygiene.

It was embarrassing being the center of attention on the first day and I could tell some of the girls were shooting me stares when they thought I wasn't looking. During most of that morning barely anyone talked to each other, we merely readied ourselves before waiting for the instructor to give us orders. When the time came, we were all put into a formation then escorted out of our quarters to a large outdoor training field.

Our military base, Yurigaoka, was located deep in the forested mountains not far from Koshu. The base was massive, stretching from what I believed was a kilometer in every direction and the whole area was divided into two sections, one smaller section for training, and the other section for general military operations. Security personnel monitored the entire perimeter with strict off limit zones twenty four seven.

Before being taken into basic training, we were all taken into processing, where they would check our health and make sure we were all prepared. In my specific case, they dyed my pink hair black like everyone else's. They didn't do anything with my pink eyes, however I was content on the black hair as I didn't want to be a center of a attention from the other girls. 

When we got to the field just outside our quarters, the instructor turned to face us and withdrew a clipboard and pencil from her uniform.

"Alright! I will be separating and organizing you all into your respective legions. Five of you will stand next to each other in a line. When I call your name, you will move to where I point you to and you will face in my direction. Am I clear!?" the Instructor said.

"Yes ma'am!" I shouted along with everyone else.

The instructor began calling out our names and when she got to mine, I was the first to be moved to a new line.

"Okay, for Legion Six I need... Hitotsuyanagi Rivulet! Takahashi Tori! Hino Shina! Kanawo Kansei! Yamanae Sara!"

After the last names from our formation were called to their lines, I saw there were ten legions, half of us facing each other. The instructor paced back and forth between us with her hands behind her back and proceeded to tell us,