When the Party gets dangerous...

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

The incessant ringing of her phone pierced through Clara's sleep, dragging her reluctantly into wakefulness. She groaned and fumbled for her phone, squinting against the harsh light of the screen. The caller ID revealed Sarah, and with a sigh, Clara answered.

"Hey, remember when you promised me you would be at the beach party?" Sarah's voice held a reproachful tone.

"Oh my god, the beach party. I am so sorry, Sarah; I fell asleep," Clara explained, regret coloring her words.

"Yeah, fine. Just move your ass to the beach right now," Sarah ordered.

"I will be there as soon as possible," Clara promised, hastily ending the call. A quick glance into her wardrobe led her to the perfect summer dress for the beach party, and Clara wasted no time in getting ready.

Admiring herself in the mirror, Clara donned the chosen dress, making sure her appearance matched the occasion. With a final glance at her reflection, she left the house, heading for the beach.

⚓⚓⚓

"Hi! Well, finally, you're here! I thought you're not coming anymore," Sarah greeted Clara upon her arrival at the beach.

"Hey Sarah, of course, I came. I told you so, and here I am," Clara assured her, offering a small smile with a hint of apology.

Before Clara could engage in conversation with Sarah, she noticed that they weren't the only ones on the beach. Pogues and Tourons alike dotted the shore. It struck Clara as an unusual scene, and her gut instinct hinted at potential trouble. Ignoring the feeling, she decided to immerse herself in the festivities, hoping a drink would ease her unease.

Making her way to the beer keg, Clara found herself staring into mesmerizing ocean-blue eyes. The boy attached to those eyes offered her a cup of beer, a smirk playing on his lips. Introductions followed, and Clara learned his name was JJ Maybank, unmistakably a Pogue.

As they chatted, Clara couldn't help but notice that JJ was different from the boys she was accustomed to. The encounter took an unexpected turn when JJ suggested Clara meet his best friend, temporarily leaving her to seek him out.

Their reunion was cut short by a sudden shift in the party atmosphere. Restlessness replaced celebration, and Clara's instincts screamed that the night might not end well. Her attention turned to a brewing dispute between JJ and Topper, Sarah's boyfriend.

The situation escalated when JJ, surprisingly, pulled out a gun, pointing it at Topper. Clara's heart raced, and goosebumps covered her skin as the gravity of the moment sank in. She feared for John B, her childhood friend from the Cut, who was now engaged in a physical altercation with Topper.

A tense standoff ensued, with JJ using the gun to intervene, preventing potential harm to John B. The relief Clara felt when Topper released John B was palpable, and the looming threat momentarily subsided.

However, the peace was short-lived. JJ, now wielding the gun, ordered everyone to leave their side of the island. Gunshots echoed, causing panic and chaos. Clara, paralyzed with fear, witnessed the sudden escalation.

Sarah grabbed her hand, pulling her away from the turmoil as gunshots continued to ring out.

⚓⚓⚓

Drunk and unable to face her disapproving mother, Clara opted to stay at Sarah's for the night. Texting her mom to explain, she settled into Sarah's room.

"Clara, are you listening?" Sarah's voice interrupted Clara's texting session.

"No, sorry. I was texting my mom. What were you saying?" Clara asked, refocusing her attention.

"You are okay, right? I mean, I saw you hanging around with that Pogue, the boy who threatened Topper with the gun," Sarah expressed concern for her friend.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm – I am fine." Clara's thoughts drifted to JJ, understanding his actions as an attempt to protect his friend. Her contemplation shifted to Topper, acknowledging his role in the violent altercation. Despite their complicated relationship, Clara found herself siding with John B.

The night replayed in her mind, stirring memories of her time on the Cut and the abrupt separation from John B. As Sarah lay peacefully in bed, Clara gazed at her friend's serene face, a smile playing on her lips. Happiness for her loved ones brought solace to Clara.

The turbulent night of today, seeing John B again after all those years, brought back memories, which had been buried and forgotten. Clara realized it was going to be a long night.