008┆chapter eight

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

eight.        sixty seconds

▬▬ WRAPPED IN JACOB'S HOODIE, Cassie slid out of her truck with a huff, her boots hitting the icy pavement. She and Jacob had been up most of the night talking, it started with him asking about Bella and how she was doing but it became him asking how she was and, again, he asked if she was gonna transfer back to the school on the reservation.

She pulled her bookbag onto her shoulders and pushed her door closed before locking the truck and turning towards the school. She looked around the parking lot but her eyes stopped on a familiar rusted, black Chevy. It stood higher then any car in the lot and it had mud on the sides, her breath caught in her throat as the memory of the last time she was in that truck ran through her mind.

"Look, Cas, this is . . . this is hard for me."

"Come on, Pauly, it's me." Cassie smiled over at the boy as they sat in his truck, he had just gotten it. Best of you by The Foofighters was playing and they were in the parking lot at the beach.

Cassie had planned a day trip, but ever since he picked her up he had been acting weird. His hands gripped the stirring wheel so hard his knuckles had turned white, he wouldn't even look in her direction, and although it was rather cold he wore a simple t-shirt, but the weirdest things was that he had cut his hair.

"Cassie." He squeezed his eyes shut, his hands tightening around the steering wheel, and she just watched him. She wanted to know why he seemed so on edge, she knew that it was something major because he had always confided in her when he was upset. "We can't-"

"Can't what?" She questioned, sitting up a little, her eyes still on him.

"I can't be your friend anymore." He gritted out through a clenched jaw and the girl almost literally deflated into to the bench seat.

"What?"

"I can't be-"

"No, I-I heard you." She mumbled as she turned to look out the windshield, her eyes settling on the horizon. "Why-why are you doing this to me?" She fought back her tears as she sat up again, her head turned towards him. "Again? Really?"