The Decision (pt.1)

This is inspired by the Phanfiction 'Grim Reaper' by FearMePlease . I just loved it so much❤️
ALL ideas go to the author <33
Btw, I used her cover!
This may be really long!

--

I toss and turn in bed that night. I desperately needed some rest, but useless thoughts kept me alarm and awake.

Why am I here?

Where am I?

Why are everybody so..different?

I was confused. Felt isolated. This place just felt..inhuman.

I was just hoping this all made sense eventually. Soon.

*~*

Three years later

I lay on my bed in this oh so familiar room. I've gotten a lot of time to know this place. I may as well explain.
My name is Phil. I'm 18 years old, even though we don't celebrate or pay attention to age here..at least I think we don't. I am a Reaper. When you think of a Reaper, you may think we are the people that kill our victims randomly for self amusement. But no. That's not how it works. We have our own system. Yes, I am not the only Reaper. There are many of my kind. But first, let me explain the system. All Reapers are told what to do by a group of 'lords' called The Highers. They give us the files of our subjects and we are supposed to read it to find out the basic information about the person. Also, they send you to the 'real' world to secretly find out more about the subject. If the person has done more bad things in their life than the good, we murder them. Sounds kind of harsh, but it's my job (I've been doing it since I was 15..since I was simultaneously brought into this universe where only Reapers live). Or if the person has done more good than bad, we grant them a longer life. It's a system that functions properly because The Highers take no crap from us (that, and they would probably shone us if we did not do as we were told). I didn't want to lose this job for these reasons:1: Because without this job, I have nothing. I live in this building with all the other Reapers. It's almost as if they were my family.
And 2: I had made one good friend. Chris Kendell. We were both 18 and were here the same amount of time. I had met him a little after I had arrived. I was scared, but he actually cared enough to ensure my safety. He was a good friend, so I definetely wanted to keep him in my life. We also shared interests which was quite convenient..
I lay on my bed in my room reading a novel. I loved books. It was like your own little world you could live vicariously in. Even if this was like my own world, I would honestly love to live in the 'Harry Potter' world. A school of wizardry training in which you can cast spells and do magic sounds awesome. The only power I have is to grant longer lives and annoy people (apperantely). As I'm reading about Harry battling Voldemort, there is two quick knocks at my door and then it opens. It was Chris.
"Hey dude, The Highers wanted to see you." I groan.
I never liked The Highers. Even though it was nice of them to take me in, they are unfair. Like, they never understood you in the way you wanted them too and stuff. It's kind of difficult to explain, but in a nutshell.. I just don't like them.
"Probably another subject file," I mumble as I roll off the bed.
I walk out of my room as Chris follows. We make our way down the narrow halls on the way to the chamber in which The Highers lived. All the Reapers lived in this one building. There was a main lounge, the separate bedrooms, the dining hall, a couple bathrooms and The Highers Chambers. They had their own area in which they lived. Nobody was allowed in there without the consent from The Highers. But I don't think anybody would want to go in there if they weren't requested too. We reach the chambers and I looked at Chris.
"See ya later," I speak and he nods, walking off.
I sigh and push open the tall wooden doors. I squint at the dim lighting as I enter. All that was to be seen was the flickering candles scattered around the room, everything else was darkness. I walk over to the three Highers. They wore giant black robes.
"Philip," one spoke.
"You wanted to see me?"
They nod.
"We have your new assignment."
One hands me the file of a subject. I was about to read it, but got interrupted.
"Oh, and we should mention..this subject is..an Inbetween.
My eyes widen.
"Wait, what?! An Inbetween?" I squeak.
Basically, an Inbetween was a person inpossible to judge. They have done an equal amount of good and bad things in their life.
"Why an Inbetween? A Reaper hasn't had to judge one of them in over a century!"
"We know Philip. Calm down. You are to do as you are told." The one in the middle speaks sternly, as meaning it was the end of the conversation.
"You are to have a file report passed in to us in two days."
I nod.
"You are dismissed."
With a sigh of relief, I walk out of the room and dash up the hall and into my room again. All of the other Reapers would have been in the lounge together by now, but as I said..the only Reaper I'm friends with is Chris. I can't be bothered to make any more friends. Also, I'm kind of socially awkward.
I start to read the subject file I was given until I felt my eyelids getting heavy. I slapped the papers down on my nightstand, turned off my lights and changed into pajama pants. I slid into bed and shut my eyes, trying to sleep at the fact that tomorrow I would have to start to judge an Inbetween.