Part 16

Vera saw her life flash in a second: her childhood, her carrer, her biggest regret, her lover and her true love.

She could still feel the rush when she was chasing after a lost cause: Cyril. She shouldn't have slowed down, causing him to drown. She should have actually tried to save him. Then, maybe, she could have had a nice, calm life with Hugo, her lover.

But did she really want that? She would just become another housewife. She knew that, with her one true love, life would be different; more fun and adventurous.

Then again, being a housewife would ensure peace and quiet.

Vera lay on the floor of sand. It got in her mouth, her hair and clothes. The waves washed up on her head and got water in her eyes and mouth.

Phillip ran away from the body and into the house, where the Judge was expecting him.

"I thought you loved her. "

"I did."

"I was expecting her to be here."

Phillip sat silent.

"Never mind. Looks like you get to use the rope!"

The Judge sat up, and gestured for Lombard to follow him. He directed Philip to Vera's room.

There hung a noose with a chair underneath.

"That there is for you!" Wargrave said cheerfully. "Now, I am going to take the easy way out." Wargrave began to walk out.

"You're going to kill yourself?"

Wargrave chuckled. "Do you mistake me for a moron? If I am found alone, alive on this island, I will surely be hanged. I'd rather die, peacefully, in the comfort of my-" He looked around. "Well, in the comfort of a home. Good bye."

He strolled out of the room and Phillip heard him walk down the stairs.

Phillip stares at the noose. He contemplated using it, until he heard a gunshot.
Had Wargrave shot himself? Was that his easy way out?

Phillip let out a long breath. He was now alone, on an island with 9 corpses. Once the boat arrived, he would be taken into custody the moment he arrived on another island. He would surely be hanged, if he were truly alone.

He heard footsteps climb up the staircase. With no surprise on his face, he stood by the door and waited for Vera to find him.

"It worked." She said once she saw him.
"Indeed it did." He smiled.
They looked at each other. Their plan had worked. Mr. And Mrs. Owen, foiling the Judge's plans.

Phillip took Vera's hand and directed her downstairs, where Fred Naracott, the sailor, was waiting for them.

"Where is everyone else, I wonder?" Mr. Naracott asked.
"How about you go find them." Vera laughed.
She and Phillip ran off to the boat and never stepped onto that island of horrors again.