1. | Forgotten Memories

They are right behind me.

I run through the cookie-cutter streets, my feet beating a rhythm on the ground.

Too late, I see the chunk of road underfoot.

I trip, sprawling over the cold sidewalk. My palms and knees sting, and I'm trying to hold back my tears. I glance behind me, my breath catching.

They've caught me.

...

But I'm probably getting ahead of myself, here. You may be wondering how I ended up on the ground, awaiting my imminent doom.

I guess it's my job to tell you.

...

I could feel something cold, smooth, flat.

I realized I was lying on the floor of a bathroom. That's new, I thought to myself.

My head pounded painfully, and I could hardly raise it for a moment before I dropped back down to the healing coolness of the floor. 

I raised my shaking hands, studying them. They were pale, with long fingers that were strangely tipped a greenish colour, and nails that were clipped short. They looked strong in a way that was fragile; like a pianist's hands, made for skittering across the delicate board like spiders.

My hands fell to my sides as it occurred to me that I had absolutely no idea where I was. Where was I before this? I racked my brain. There wasn't much to rack. I barely remembered who I was.

My name was Hyde. I couldn't come up with much more then that, unfortunately.

I sat up gingerly, clutching my aching head. I was in the sort of bathroom you might find in an expensive hotel. Immaculately clean, very shiny and white, not much taste or character. Oddly, there was no mirror.

My eyes darted to the door, which was, shockingly, also white. I stood up with great difficulty, stumbling and grabbing anything I could get a hold on. My strange, spidery hands drifted towards the doorknob. I recoiled.

It was turning.

I jumped back as a woman's voice called through the crack. "Honey? Are you alright in there?"

Honey? That's strange.

"I-" My voice shocked me for a moment. I had the feeling I hadn't used it in some time. "I am okay." The words felt strange on my lips; drawn-out and raspy.

"Alright. Call me if you need anything!" Her voice sounded like one of those ladies in advertisements: bubbly, high-pitched, sort of annoying and plastic.

She'd spoken as if she knew me, which was very queer. Like I was her son, even though I was sure I had never met her.

I really had to get out of here.

I turned the doorknob, peeking out into the hall. It looked empty and much like the bathroom: lifeless. I crept towards the only lit place in my field of vision, a room to my right. It occurred to me that there was no noise. No talking, no clattering, bumping, no general sounds of life. Complete and utter silence, yet I knew for a fact that someone lived here. The woman did.

The woman who spoke is if I was her son. I shivered involuntarily.

Just as I was inches away from the lit room, the sound of a radio blared on. A familiar tune played, although I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I could hear the clinking of utensils on china, the sound of hushed voices. They filtered out through the door crack.

"He woke up..."

"Make sure he doesn't..."

"I know. I checked on him, but..."

The voices stopped.

The advertisement lady's voice called out. "Cal, honey? Are you there?"

I shivered again, debating wether or not to reply. Well, maybe if I find out who these people are maybe I could find a way to escape. "Y-yes." I pushed the door open to reveal an inviting space, maybe a dining room or a lounge. It was drastically different from the hall and the bathroom. There was still something about it that made me uncomfortable. Almost as if it was trying too hard to look normal.

There were people, too. A man, a woman, and a young boy. The man was bulky, with a buzz cut and a brutish but strangely jolly face. The woman, evidently the one who I'd heard speak, was a pretty middle-aged woman with platinum blonde hair, lips painted shockingly red, and light blue dress. The boy looked to be around five or six. He had neatly parted dark hair, large brown eyes, and several missing teeth. They looked like your average suburban family; happy, normal, harmless.

So why did I feel like I needed to run so badly?

The blonde woman's face split into a wide grin, scaring me a little at the sudden intensity. "I'm glad to see you here, Calvin."

Why did she keep calling me by that name? I was sure my name was Hyde, although it was an odd name. I didn't say any of this, of course. "I am glad to be here." I tried for a smile, but it hurt my face.

The woman gestured for me to sit down, her grin as wide as ever.

I have to get out of here.