Chapter 16

The ride to the restaurant would have been rather different if Precilla and Cynthia were not in the car with Wendy and Deacon.

Wendy tried her best to focus on the road and participate in the jovial conversation that her aunt kept going. It was not easy as she was too aware of the man sitting casually in the passenger seat beside her.

"Should you decide to serve cheese at your wedding Deacon I assure you Molly's cheese is a cut above the rest," Cynthia was saying. "It's a pity you'll not be around after the wedding to get a tour of the village. There is so much here that I know you would highly appreciate."

"Surely they could come up a few days or even a week before the wedding," Precilla chimed in excitedly "As the wedding will be held the ending of August."

"That would be lovely and we could all work on the wedding preparations," Cynthia agreed with excitement.

Wendy's whose mind was still in the abyss of the thought-provoking words that Deacon had said before they left the Manor was not following the conversation and it did not dawn on her that Deacon had suddenly become quiet and rigid.

"What do you say Wen darling will you come up before the wedding surely you'll want to marry here. The Manor will make a splendid venue," Cynthia said bringing her into the conversation.

"What mother?" she asked trying to pull herself together.

"Your wedding in August darling," Cynthia said with a frown, "certainly you'll want to have it here in Duncan Cove, but what we are suggesting is that you and Deacon come up a week before to do some planning for the event as well as show him around the village."

Wendy took a minute to look over at her mother and then back to the road ahead. She dared not look at Deacon. What had he done? Something told her that he had once again gone and hit the ball way out of the ball field.

She swallowed and then declared with an all too bright smile, "I will have to ask my boss first, but then again I am marrying my boss in August."

"This is so delightful," Precilla deemed gayly. "Two weddings at the Preston's Manor. I can't wait to see Edith eat her heart out."

Wendy felt her fingers relax on the steering wheel when they pulled up into the wide and already packed parking lot of The Brampton.

Tonight was going to be one of those nights where she was going to be left with a headache equivalent to a miner pounding rocks. She could feel it already pushing at her temples.

It took her a full minute to gather her coat and purse and join the others at the entrance. She wished she could hide away in the car and not come out until everything was over.

Her feet felt like planks of wood as she joined them and more so as Deacon took her hand slipped it into the crook of his elbow and smiled sweetly at her.

"So when did we decide we were getting married in August?" she asked softly so that he alone could hear.

"The minute I realize a few nights with you will never satisfy my hunger for you," he replied with a sweet smile. "And with you as my wife Wendy, there will be no boundaries between us."

There he goes again turning her into a walking pool of nerves. Was he serious? Had he forgotten this was just some trivial plan to quit her mother's worries and diffuse both her and Precilla's constant attempt at matchmaking and cover up her little white lie?

Why was he doing this? Surely he realizes he was giving in to her mother and aunt's desire not only to marry their children off but to also put a few notches in their stylish designer belts as they rub a few faces in their children's nuptials.

"You really can be a pain in the ass," she said under her breath and plastered a smile on her lips as they caught up with the group.

She heard him chuckle before he said, "How long have you been wanting to say that?"

"Long enough," she returned trying not to let the sweet sound engulf her in its mesmerizing trance. His smile was enough to drive her off the edge already.

"I must tell you if I had seen that dress before you came downstairs you would not have left out of the house," he whispered this time against her ears.

The meaning in those words was enough to have her stumbling slightly as she missed her step as they made it up the steps that took them into the inviting decor of The Brampton.

The rosewood and cedar walls were decorated with mirrors in golden frames. The ceiling had slender cylindrical crystal hanging lights dropping from thin gold bases.

The tables were a mixture of round, square, and rectangular tops with wooden tripod feet that increased in seating capacity. The round tables had two round back padded chairs while the square tables had four and the rectangular tables had long leather semicircular couches all with a splash of gold.

Each table had a floating scented candle in highly polished glass holders so shiny they glistened with each flicker of the candle. The ambience had the right air of tranquillity with its green potted plants and mellow music wafting through hidden speakers.

The Brompton spoke of class and atmosphere with sophistication much like the woman who came walking up to them, the perfect hostess. The perfect bitch.

Wendy tried to compose herself with the assistance of the very person who had her all out of place. She stepped onto the landing that would lead them into the vast dining area and tried to appear indifferent to the man who was driving her crazy with frustration and pent-up sexual needs.

It was not easy considering where they were. The people who in the past had offered her one of the most bitter times of her life were here and she felt as if she was on parade.

"Are you alright darling?" he asked innocently and she would have glared at him if Adam and Georgia were not looking curiously at them.

She plastered a smile on her face and made to reply when she caught sight of Sonia Brampton sauntering up to the steps that lead from the landing down into the dining area. She pauses by the end of one of the silver railings and looks up at them her face depicting a welcoming mask of the perfect hostess.

Her mother addressed her politely as she greeted them and she found her eyes automatically searching the room for Eliza but instead, she found Brandon. He was staring at her from across the room and she was for a minute taken back to times past when that stare rendered her weak in the knees.

But only for a minute because Eliza came down the flight of stairs that led from the private alcove walked up to him and leaned into him possessively.

When she tore her eyes away she felt herself sinking into feelings she had thought she had long since buried.

Deacon who was watching Wendy saw the emotions playing across her face and felt a wave of possessiveness rush within him. He did not want Wendy to need any other man. He wanted her for himself alone.

He placed a little more pressure on her hand to get her attention and when she did he leaned down and claimed her lips in a kiss though swift it was enough to send her focusing just on him.

This was going to be a night she hoped she had the nerve to see through to the end.

𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷𖧷

Hiya guys 😁

Are old flames on the verge of being reignited? Is Wendy's feelings for Brandon still on the high?
What will the events of the night bring?

Let's read on and see...

Thank you for the reads, don't forget to comment, and please vote😊. Your support is highly appreciated 🥰