40

The waiter was absolutely terrified of James' anger at that point. He was constantly mumbling apologies, even when James pushed him out of the room furiously. He slammed the door behind the waiters and then turned around, his face filled with malice and frustration.

"James, it was not that big of a matter, I am totally alright."

James huffed out a loud growl and stormed ahead until he was just a step away from where she was sitting, "He almost ripped your clothes off of your body. How the hell am I to shut up? What if he had something in his hands and it fell on you? I brought you here with me so I can keep you safe, not to harm you even more."

Kara raised her hand and grabbed his in her fist gently, "Don't be so much worried. You are going to fall sick at this rate."

James pushed his hand through his hair in frustration. It was not an easy thing for him to keep Kara in this office. He was worried about her health. Her leg was still in a plaster which made it hard for her to walk. Although it was just a small fracture, so it was almost healed now, but he still hated the thought of putting her under any kind of stress. He had to bring her to the office just because the whole business was crumbling down due to non appearance of the owners. But he could not force the will of his heart to leave Kara at home. He would probably have a stroke because of how worried he would be each minute.

"James, by the way," she called out to him in an attempt to distract him, "did you see my engagement ring?"

"There was no engagement." James immediately snapped while turning around to face Kara.

Kara just nodded her head and motioned for him to sit beside her on the chair, to have lunch, "I meant the ring that Damon gave me. Have you seen it?"

Instead of responding to her, James' one hand instinctively slipped in his right pocket to feel the metal band around the tip of his finger, while the other hand went to grab the spoon to pour some pasta on a plate, "No."

The doctors had given him the ring before taking Kara inside the surgery ward. He had always wanted the damn thing off her hand anyway since the day Damon had made her wear it. Now that it was in his hands, he was reluctant to give it back to her. The mere sight of it on her hand irritated him to the core. And since she had not taken it off her hand willingly, he had to lie.

"Oh." she murmured dejectedly. 

"Start eating." James pulled out his other hand out of his pocket, and started serving her the rest of the gourmet meal.

*****

Three Months Later

"......and the next big news is about the renowned makeup materials company 'Sera Enterprises' owner Mr. Daniel Green. Mr. Green was arrested this morning from his home with allegations of attempted murder of the current Chairperson and owner, Ms. Kara Marvel , the biggest shareholder of Sera Enterprises at present. The Police were able to trace a gunshot attack, and fatal car accident incedent that almost brought Ms Marvel and a friend of hers to death. It has been confirmed that none were killed in both attacks. For more information about this news, we will be back after a short break."

Kara tapped the red button on the remote in her hand and turned off the television. The constant noise, and news about the same matter since past three days had started giving her a headache. She turned her head as she heard the sounds of footsteps coming towards her. 

"You are back early." she smiled.

"Let's go." James bent down and kissed her on the cheek softly, his hand softly caressed her left cheek.

"Where?"

"It is a surprise." he winked at her.

Grinning from ear to ear, she stood up from her seat. Now that her leg was fully healed, she could finally walk on her own without asking for help from James. Although even after she had gotten the plaster on her leg removed, for the next ten days James had been hot on her heals, not letting her walk even to the next room alone. It was kind of frustrating, but then when he showed his sweet face and worried eyes, Kara could not help but appreciate how much he cared about her.

He grabbed her hand, and pulled her out of the house. 

"Go outside. I will bring car in a minute." James said.

Kara nodded her head and walked out of the house. Barely five minutes later James brought out his SUV and stopped it in front of her. Kara opened the car door halfway to get inside. Her left hand was on the edge where the car door was supposed to slam shut. She had just lifted her leg, when a sudden bang startled her, and her body shook hard. Her hand unknowingly hit the car door, and the car door slammed shut, but her hand was right there on the edge so it hit her hand hard. 

The blood sprayed out, and she heared James's startled voice speaking something in urgency and fright. She later realized that she had gotten startled from the sound of someone shooting firecrackers in the air, and it was not an attack on her and James.

"Kara!" he shouted, grabbed her hand and pulled it towards himself. his hands fumbled with her bloody fingers, "fuck!"

"Hurts." she croaked out. Her fingers felt like that had gotten broken from middle. James' hand grabbed her wrist tightly in an attempt to make sure her hand was not hurt anywhere else or wrist was not broken.

"Move your fingers a bit for me." he said softly. His forehead was covered in beads of sweat and his breathing was harsh, "just slightly. Let me see."