Ava | Chap. 45

I froze in place when the old man spoke of the former Alpha as he chuckled with a wide grin. Jace's fists closed tightly to the point his knuckles started to turn white and he leaned closer to the man's face.

"You knew my father...?" I could tell he was on the break of snapping just by the tone of his voice. I can't blame him though; I'd surely feel the same if I were in his shoes.

Another laugh came out of the man's throat as he seemed to enjoy his little games, but his enjoyment was cut short when Jace slammed his fist into the captive's face. Blood splattered the ground and I held my hands to my face, gasping.

The man kept his head low and spat out crimson liquid, before he spoke. "Not bad... for a werewolf." Wait, he knows about our kind!?

"HOW DO YOU KNOW MY FATHER!?" Jace screamed, preparing to pull another punch as he held the man by the collar of his shirt. But the old man didn't budge, and gave another large grin. 

"I was there when the fire started, hehe. Was quite the show. But the real treat... oooh,it must've been so satisfying to see yo'old man go down amongst the flames." Another punch came his way, this time much stronger than the last.

I frowned at his words, intrigued. Something wasn't right here. He was provoking Jace but why? Why cause himself such pain, why take such measures just to piss off the Alpha's son? Jace didn't seem to know him so it couldn't be something personal between them, unless... Worried, I walked up to the front door and gently lifted up the stales, taking a quick peek outside. I couldn't see anything, but I just knew something wasn't right. I gazed over my shoulder, bewildered as Jace sent a flurry of repeated punches onto the man's face.

I ran up and caught his arm, stopping another punch. "We got to get out of here!

- Get away from me!" He sneered, glaring at me with all the rage in his soul. "I'm not leaving until this bastard gives me answers!

- Jace, wake up! Something isn't right here! He's obviously stalling!

- I said LEAVE ME ALONE!" Eyes glaring, I found myself facing Jace at his breaking point; veins popped under the skin, muscles tensed and nails turned into sharp claws, he seemed as if he was about to completely lose control.

I backed away, but soon found myself pinned to the wall and Jace didn't seem to want to calm down. I could feel his presence grow in strength by the second as he towered over me. His eyes slowly started to turn red, terrifying me to my core. A sudden violent knocking shook the front door followed by the calls of another man. CRAP, now were definitely trapped here, but Jace seemed too angry towards me to even bother noticing the current predicament we were in.

I tried to come up with something to say, but to no avail so I simply stood my ground. "Jace, this man isn't giving us any answers. I know, it sucks but right now, we have other things to worry about. So please, if you have any idea how to get out of here, I'm with you."

It took a few seconds, but his face slightly changed as he seemed to finally realize I wasn't the enemy here. I was just as frustrated as he was, but I also wanted to live another day. His eyes slightly flickered left and right, as if he was analyzing his options. I remained silent, but hopeful I was starting to get through to him.

He pointed at a small opening near the basement door. In the closet; we can both fit in there.

I didn't waste a second and scurried off to the closet while he was quick to follow. The opening was barely big enough to let someone sit inside, so I had to hug the side wall as best of my abilities to allow enough space for Jace to hide in as well. But when he squeezed through, my entire body shivered as he and I were forced to be incredibly close to one another. I did my best to keep my hands to the side of body to not touch anything but my face was practically right in his neck and he... well, he had a very good top view of... everything I had. Luckily, he was too busy gazing outside while he firmly held the door to notice.

I could feel Ruby purr with envy, almost salivating at the thought of having his warm body against mine. I had to remind her the situation we were in and she quickly snapped back to reality, heightening my senses in return. I could hear at least three men outside and one of them was still trying to break in. My heart raced through my chest as the door finally broke and slammed wide open, scarring me in the process. I wanted to bring my hand up to my mouth, but it was blocked by Jace's hand which also made him jump. For a brief moment, our eyes met and I suddenly felt like the whole world ceased to exist. It was just me and him... Until he scoffed and looked away, breaking the moment. Embarrassed, my face turned bright red and I decided to focus onto what was happening just outside. 

A man entered the cabin, pointing his hunting rifle wherever he looked. Behind him were two broad shouldered men armed with similar weapons and all three carried an irritating smell with them. The first, a red head, walked up to the one apparently named Michael and checked his pulse, nodding an okay to the others.

He's still alive... I unwillingly said over the link, which instantly made Jace's muscles tense up.  Low growl rumbled his throat so I quickly held him back.

This isn't the time! If they find us, we're finished!

"Boys! Over here!" The second man, a jet black haired giant with a massive beard, gestured to a secret compartment he found in the wall, asking the others to help him open it.

The red head smiled sadistically as he pulled out a jar filled with a strange liquid inside, alongside many dried up plants. The goons loaded their bags with the strange substance, smiling from ear to ear. They knew what they were doing... but what is that substance? And what the heck are these plants!? I'm no gardener but, that smell... It irritated me to my very core, even Ruby was annoyed.

"Boss is gonna be pleased." Chuckled the third goon, a much smaller guy but similar in built.

The black haired man smiled, holding one of the plants in his hand. "Indeed.

- Why don't you both shut up and keep packing. We don't got all day. Those fur balls will be arriving in the next week or so." Groaned the red haired man, who seemed to be their leader. "We might have the plants, but we still need to get the silver from the elves."

My eyes widened in shock. The elves!? We were just there barely a day ago! How could this be? Has Ciel and his father been against us this entire time? Is that why the King was so hostile against us? So many questions bubbled through my mind, I didn't have time to eavesdrop onto the rest of the goons' conversation and only caught the last of it when they finished packing things up.

The small man turned towards Michael with a curious look. "What about Mickey? He's out cold."

The red head groaned and stood up, taking a good long look at Mickey before he pulled out his gun and shot him in the head. I held back a gasp, traumatized by the scene as blood and brains splattered the entire wall. 

He groaned. "What about him?" And walked outside, leaving his two followers bewildered. Nervous, they quickly wrapped things up, took their weapons and headed outside, leaving me and Jace alone with the dead man.

-*-

Consider leaving a VOTE and a COMMENT for more!