Jace | Chap. 49

"Mom... what's a mate?

- Well, your mate is supposed to be the person you belong with for the rest of your life. They are your other half in a way. They take care of you, look out for your well being. And they might give you wonderful children to raise in the future.

- Is dad your mate?

- Of course baby, your father is my mate.

- But why doesn't he love you?"

The women paused, taken aback by her son's question. She was aware he knew about her husband's irrational behavior and he was even scared of him; just last night, Xavier came back drunk like a rock and started shouting nonsense. She tried to calm him down, but it quickly turned sour just like every other night.

She gently passed her hand through her son's dark hair, smiling. "Your father does love me Jace. He loves you too. Except he can be a little... mean sometimes. It happens, not everyone is perfect."

Still a little worried, the boy remained quiet while she continued to run her fingers through his hair, soothing him to sleep. But his wide eyes were quick to gaze up at her emerald green pools.

"The others say dad and I are cursed... is that true?"

-*-

I woke up to the sound of crackling wood accompanied by the strong smell of ash and smoke. My entire body was warm, but my left side felt incredibly sour and sensitive but I couldn't remember anything from before. Disoriented, I pushed myself up, only to realize I was surrounded by the tail of a large wolf and my back was against it's flank. I could feel it's shallow breath press against my back every time it breathes, slightly lifting me up. My eyes locked onto the Wolf's face and I instantly recognized Ava which almost made me jump onto my feet.

At that moment, I began to recall everything that happened earlier, from the attack at the cottage to the sickening sight of Curtis while he burnt my flesh off. That's when she...

She came back for me.

I was so confused, I couldn't get any of my thoughts straight and I hadn't realized she had awoken. I looked to my right, surprised when I crossed eyes with her's, green meeting brown. It's strange to explain why but, we just... starred for a good while. None of us spoke a word. We didn't move either. Words simply caught in my throat; I was rescued by an Omega... After a while, I broke the moment and gazed away, feeling a little awkward. I honestly didn't know where to begin... or... how to start. My mind was still hazy and I hadn't eaten much so it was pretty dam hard to think straight.

"How long have I been out...?" I groggily asked, startled by the dryness of my throat.

It's been two days so far. I had to clean your wound but you wouldn't wake up, so I decided not to b-

"Right, right... I uhm..." I couldn't think of anything to say. Honestly, I wasn't really listening either. "Stings like a bitch..."

I fell on my back when the girl suddenly stood up, sending a wave of pain through my body. "HEY!" I gave her a stern glare, but she didn't notice since her back was turned against me so i didn't bother. The hell is her problem!? Shouldn't she be a little more gentle!? Everything was so incredibly stiff... "Wouldn't it be more comfortable if you made a bed?"