Summer Rain

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and events are fictitious, unless otherwise stated. Any resemblance to real person, living or dead, or actual event is purely coincidental.

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author and publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

Plagiarism is a crime.

I neither hate nor love the rain anymore. I only get sad when it rains—because rain brings so many memories.

I was heading towards north to run some errands, because my mom told me so. And I had no choice—if I would not follow her orders she would beat me up to death—nah, I was just kidding. My mom would seize my phone if I disobey her orders, so yes, I had no choice. My phone's my other half. 

As I was walking I saw two familiar figures—no, there's only one that was familiar to me, the other one was not—they were clutching each other's arms in the bench outside the mini grocery in the vicinity of our subdivision. Aw so sweet. 

They were even laughing so hard, like they have heard a very hilarious joke or saw funny faces. I smiled bitterly; I can feel the stinging pain in my chest. 

I walked faster; trying to avoid looking at their direction. When I finally arrived at the mini grocery I heaved a sigh. 

I stopped for a moment, I was still outside the grocery store, and I don't know if I have the strength to even move a finger to hold a grip or to push the door. 

I looked up in heaven, trying to stop my tears from falling. Then I noticed how gloomy the heaven was. Suddenly memories of past kept flashing through my eyes, it flashed vividly—it seems like it only happened just a few days ago. 

I shut my eyes tightly, trying to erase those visions—but I was defeated by my own desire—the desire of still remembering him.

I remembered how our paths crossed three years ago; I remembered how the universe tried to match our hearts. 

It was a one, hot summer day. 

I never imagined nor thought that it would rain hard that time, because for Pete's sake it was summer. I was standing near the glass door of the mini grocery, I did not bring my umbrella at that moment, and I only had my black Nike cap on my head. 

I was holding two large cellophanes with groceries inside on it. 

I heaved a sigh, because I thought it was impossible for me to exit the store and go home safely without getting damp because of this freaking rain. 

God knows and even the Saints that I really hate when it rains. 

I hate the smell of the ground when the rain pours. 

I hate the sound of the rain when it hits the roof.  

I hate getting damp because of it, and I hate the view of the heavens when it is about to rain. 

But of all those hates were ignored when I met him. 

He was holding his yellow umbrella, smiling widely; he offered to take me home. At first I was hesitant to accept it, even though he was a good looking male specimen I cannot give my trust to anyone, that was my mom taught me. 

But in the end, I gave up. I accepted his offer. I walked closer to him; he took the other cellophane in my left hand. I cannot utter a single word, I just smiled, and he smiled warmly at me. It made me insane; God knows how it made my heart beat erratically, it made the butterflies in my stomach go crazy.