and so it begins

I first saw her at freshmen orientation. She was there on the bleachers and she stood out from the crowd, which is ironic, because every single one of the freshmen was standing - she remained sitting, reading something I can't quite make out from the distance.

My eyes were immediately drawn to her, with her beige cardigan and brown locks. She tucked a strand of stray hair behind her ear and I found myself blushing. She was gorgeous and my eyes was focused on her.

I had come in a little late due to traffic (it really wasn't I just overslept and traffic is my go-to excuse) and had missed Namjoon's opening speech.

I felt someone elbow me and that made me look to my right, Jimin was telling me something yet I cannot hear his words. I instead focused on his mouthing of the words and made out 'you' 'turn' and 'speak'. I hurriedly stood up and mouthed a sorry towards Namjoon who just shook his head like this was a normal occurrence. Well, it's not every day I get distracted by Aphrodite but it's not like I can tell that to them. It'd be the end of me as they would torment me with the fact that some freshie had caught the Taehyung Kim's attention.

I sauntered over to the podium which I remembered was occupied by Namjoon giving a speech as the student council president.

From where I stood she wasn't that visible, the lighting made her image hazy.

I decided to give my speech as captain of the hockey team and then invited students to join, something routine - something familiar - until I felt a shiver and my eyes immediately found her. The earlier hazy image of her cleared, like a fogged glass wiped by the microfiber cloth.

She was looking at me and she was crying.

I must've spaced out then because I felt Jimin tug my uniform and usher me to my seat. He must've said something as the crowd of freshmen laugh boisterously.

I tried to find her amongst the rowdy crowd but I can't spot her anymore, like she'd vanish in thin air.

When the assembly ended I was left questioning if she really was there, or was she just a figment of my imagination.

One thing was for sure, those were tears running down her face.

-

The next time I met her, was Namjoon and Hobi's graduation.

She stood there amongst the pinks of the cherry blossoms, sticking out with our school's dark uniform. She was next to Jisoo who was happily chatting with Namjoon. As I neared, her eyes met mine and I had the urge to quicken my steps.

I gave in and left Jimin in my wake.

Jisoo introduced her to the rest of the group. She bowed her head which we returned but she never once spoke. As Namjoon and Hobi asked us to celebrate over our favorite diner, she refused. Jisoo tried to coax her to come but she just said something out of earshot which made Jisoo nod solemnly.

With my loud mouth and unfiltered thought I asked if she needed a ride. She looked startled and like a cornered cat - ready to bolt - but Jisoo hurriedly clasped her shoulders and said that it would be a good idea.

She tried to protest but Jisoo just pushed her forward telling her to live a little. She glared at that and I swear if it was directed into a body of water, that glare would freeze it over. She let out a sigh and gave an apprehensive nod, looking at me like a lost child.

I told her to follow me and she suddenly said that if I were to do something, she had pepper spray on her. I answered that I won't do anything she won't like which earned me an eye roll. I beamed at her and opened the passenger's side door. She mumbled a small thank you and I felt my heart soar. That was the first time I heard her voice directed at me.