Not Like You

Ayra's pov:

I was not fine, not at all, I thought I will manage it around him. But I was wrong, the moment his voice pleadingly took my name, I felt weak. I was struggling to ignore him, it hurts me to do that, to the one who was my best friend. I don't know how long I can keep doing this, but I don't want to let him in again, I don't want to let him hurt me again.

I had to do this, he was happy without me, never in these years he tried to apologise or even contact me. He gave up on me and now he was trying to talk to me, no.. Severus, I can't....

Just one more day, that's it Ayra, the students will come back and you both will get busy with schedules to notice each other... Just one more day... I convinced myself.

.......
General pov:
Next morning :

The professors were gathered in the greathall. They had many work before the students comes in, they had to make sure the dorms were organised, neat and orderly.

Severus chose to handle his works on his own, alone, he would have liked to pair up with Ayra, but as she already chose to help Minerva and continued to ignore his existence he did his work alone, and a bit help from Filch.
It was exhausting for all of them, all of them were tired and hungry as they came back to hall for lunch. Severus wss trying to get her attention, he sat next to her, in hope she will talk to him soon.

Ayra tried to sit away from him, but it seems her colleagues were planning to make her and Severus talk, they shuffled their seats letting Severus sit next to her again. Why don't they understand it was not easy for her?.

"Here", Severus looked at her in hope as he filled her plate with her favourite dishes.

Ayra looked at her plate, at him and again to the plate, it took her everything not to smile at him as he gave her the most innocent look. He still remembers my favourites... What is that you want now Severus?..why are you doing this to me..

She pushed the plate away and took a new plate and filled it with some food. Her eyes were ready to water at any moment. She stuffed the food into her mouth not at all enjoying it.

Severus looked at her swallowing hard, his Adam's apple moved up and down as he held his feelings from surfacing. He began to eat from the plate he filled for her, trying to smile remembering how they used to share their food, how they used irritate the other snatching food from the others hand. That bond he had with her, it was unlike anything he had, unlike he had with Lily, the most unique and precious one to him. He was so stupid to push her away, he told himself that He deserve this pain.

....
1 week later,
Library :

"Ayra ", his voice made her heart flutter for a moment. Sighing she closed the book in her hands to turn around.

Severus smiled weakly as she looked at him, blank with no feelings, it was hard for him to read what she was thinking, may be he can easily usr legilimency on her, but he won't do that with her.

"Can we please talk, I have been trying to talk to you from the day you came", he began.

"And what is that you wanted to talk about... Mr Snape? ", she rolled her eyes disinterested.

His heart winced at the name, to hear that from her. Even after a week of his attempts to get her attention all he got was ignorance. He tried his best, atleast he thought so.

"Don't do this Ayra, don't ignore me like this. I can't handle this pain.. Please ", he stepped closer to her only for her to bring her hand between them stopping him.

"What are you trying to say Mr Snape? I am afraid I don't understand", she walked past him.

"Stop pretending Ayra, don't behave like you don't remember me, us", she stopped in her tracks looking back at him.