Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I was warm and deep in sleep when I felt Jax's hand gently cradle my cheek, "Mia, wake up."

"Did they find us?" I gasped, sitting up.

"Shh, no," he laughed, pulling me back into the seat, "No, we'll be at the gate in five minutes. I figured you'd want to make sure you were awake before anyone saw you."

"Thank you," I smiled, looking out the window. It was completely dark out; we must have been driving for hours.

We arrived before Prince Marcus and Grant, they were likely being extra cautious with the Crowned Prince.

When we made our way into the palace entrance the King was waiting, "I'm glad you're safe, son," he said to Jackson, looking over his son's shoulder to look for his favorite son.

"You too, father," Jackson said.

"Yes, now go get some rest. The ball is still scheduled for tomorrow. The streets should be cleaned up by tonight," he said coldly.

I felt nauseous, knowing exactly what he meant by "cleaned up." I looked at Jackson and we walked upstairs silently.

"I think you should sleep tonight, don't worry about me," Jackson said, "I think I'll stay in tonight."

"Really? Joe said you haven't stayed in your room for months, and that was before I was with you," I said, looking up at him before we separated to our separate wings of the palace.

"I'm feeling pretty good tonight," he said, a subtle smile on his lips.

I was feeling a little bit more energized after my nap, but after all that had happened today, I could use a full night's rest.

"If you change your mind tell Joe," I smiled, "And then I'll find you."

Jackson smiled and took my hand. He lifted it to his lips and kissed it lightly, "Good night, Ms. Luther."

"Goodnight, Prince Jackson," I smiled, feeling my body flush as I walked away.

After I had made my way to my room I took a moment to sit and brush out my hair, like my mother used to do. Then I took off my stale uniform and tossed on a tank top, hopping into my fluffy white bed.

As much as I wanted to sleep I couldn't. I was suddenly frozen and aching for a warmth I could only get from one person, warmth that wasn't external, but that filled my whole body and soul. I couldn't understand it before, but after today I knew.

I flung myself out of bed and threw open my door. I had to find Jax. I knew he wouldn't sleep, so I would run to the library.

Rather than finding an empty hallway, I slammed into a strong chest, "Jax!" I gasped.

"Where are you going?" he said, steadying me.

I blushed, "To find you."

Jax grinned, "In your underwear?"

"Oh, I forgot about-"

Jax running his hands through my hair cut me off. I put my hands on his elbows and pulled him into my room, I didn't need passerbys seeing the Prince in my doorway. Jax gently pushed the door shut with his foot. When the door had clicked shut he wrapped one hand around the back of my neck and the other around my waist, turning me so my back was to the door.

"I'm going to kiss you now," he murmured, his face moving closer to mine.

I smiled, "Why are you telling me?"