My mistake

It was already dark when Yang Yu Teng saw the lights of Sam's car finally entering the house compound. He had been waiting there in the living room since he got back that afternoon so it took him only a few steps to open the door for the man.

Seeing Sam's face smiling as he walked over to him, Yang Yu Teng could feel the entire strength he had gathered on his face crumbled down to pure nothingness. He wanted to give a smile back, one that would help Sam ease his worry but it turned to be something ugly- crooked at his attempt to block the overproduction of his tear ducts.

"You're crying again," Sam said softly as he loosened his tie, exhaustion evident in his voice.

"Have you eaten?" Yang Yu Teng asked as he wiped the tears that escaped, forcing a smile as he followed Sam into the house.

Throwing his briefcase onto the sofa, Sam pulled Yang Yu Teng close, clasping his hands tight behind his waist. He snuggled inside the crook of the man's neck before touching their noses together. "You smell nice."

"You not so much."

"The food need to smell nice, not the eater," Sam responded after a silent laugh, sliding his hand down Yang Yu Teng's back as he pecked the man's lips over and over again.

Yang Yu Teng tried to wiggle himself free, poking the man's waist as a defence. "Stop being horny, we need to talk."

"Horny? What are you talking about? I'm talking about the food," Sam let Yang Yu Teng go and brisked over to the dining table, towards the feast that had filled the house with air of scrumptiousness. "But if you're horny, you can tell me. I'm always at your service."

Rolling his eyes, he somewhat felt slightly relieved seeing Sam was still able to joke around while stuffing his mouth even before his butt fully touch the dining chair.

"Slowly, you'll choke," Yang Yu Teng put a piece of broccoli on Sam's bowl as the man went for the second bowl of rice.

"I skipped lunch today, I was so busy trying to-" Sam swallowed what was left in his mouth and quickly shoved in more food inside as he watched Yang Yu Teng's face hardened.

"I'm sorry. It's my fault."

"We're past that," Sam put down his bowl and chopsticks, sighing as he looked at the man painted with guilt sitting in front of him.

"I have something to tell you."

With the glass of water gulped down, Sam sighed inwardly. He wasn't sure if he wanted to hear it but Yang Yu Teng already started talking before he could say anything.

"I was an idiot. I believed other's words and slandered you at your wedding," Yang Yu Teng looked down onto the table, playing with the ring on his finger as he arranged his words. "I thought you're a bad man. I thought the girl deserved better. It wasn't my place to do what I did but like I told you, I was stupid, and now-"

"Bad?"

Yang Yu Teng nodded, "She told me that you beat her."

"Ke Fang?" Sam's fist clenched under the table as Yang Yu Teng again slowly nodded. More so than it being the fact that he was back-stabbed by the person he used to trust the most, he was more annoyed that he could now confirm that the two had known each other since before everything. "How did you know her?"

"I.. she was a student," Yang Yu Teng eyes didn't falter from Sam's sight, trying to figure out what Sam was thinking.

Is he mad? Doesn't he believe me? Does he hate me now?

"I guess I really didn't know her huh," Sam sighed as he picked his chopsticks back and resumed eating, slowly this time. "All the articles today, those were her doing too I guess."

The board of directors meeting was that afternoon and the articles were published right before it started; who would benefit from it the most if it was not the woman herself. Sure she was too insecure to believe that anyone would trust her to vouch for her so she needed something to make his father lose all his trust in Sam, but there's also the fact that this whole chicanery would turn everything in her favour, public sympathy and all.

"I don't understand. You said that she would be a good CEO, that you'd tell exactly that to Mr. Sun."

Sam let out a dry chuckle, "Sure I did, I guess she didn't know."

"Then..," Yang Yu Teng really wanted to go and drag the woman's lying ass in the mud thinking of how she achieved everything at the expense of everyone else's misery. He finally understood that he was worried about his pictures with Ke Fang for nothing. The woman would never reveal the pictures herself, she would never put herself in such situation.

"She didn't make it though," Sam scoffed as he finished the last of his rice. "Mr. Sun made his CTO the new CEO."

"Eh?" Yang Yu Teng jaw drew slack, "Seriously?"

Sam nodded as he got up to wash the dishes. When he found out about it earlier in the day, he could only laugh to himself for even trying to help the woman in the first place. What about old times? They didn't matter anymore, not when Sam now knew that what they shared before was not love, it was something different entirely, something he did not care to find out.

"What about you? How's the company? Is there anything I can help you with?"

Sam thought of the contracts he had lost just today, all his effort that went down the drain and the snarl he received from his investors. He turned up the tap, trying to drown his thoughts in the loud gush of water, only to be asked again.

"That bad..?"

"It's fine. I'll handle it, I'm experienced," Sam wanted to reassure the worry-filled man but it only made the man's anxious expression turned sour.

"I'm sorry.."

"It's fine. You can help me," Sam smiled as he dried his hands on a towel, watching the man nodded eagerly at the suggestion.

"Stay out of everything. Don't take interviews and don't answer any question from anyone," Sam's voice was stern but his eyes were coaxing. "Just, believe me and wait till I settle everything."

"No funny thoughts," he added as he walked away.

"No funny thoughts..," Yang Yu Teng repeated, his voice low and despondent. He knew he wouldn't be able to help with anything, but hearing it so crudely was making him realize he was just a person that wield no power, a pawn that was used to achieve a dream bigger than he could ever imagined. He could do nothing to help.

"I talked to Pa, your dad doesn't have to know."

"I'm glad he sucks at internet," Yang Yu Teng joked bitterly. "Pa.. what did he say? Is he mad?"

"Yeah. My phone almost exploded with his nags," the man laughed as they walked up the stairs.

"I'll go there tomorrow, to explain everything. Pa should-"

"Didn't you hear me, Yu Teng?" Sam stopped in his track, turning around to face Yang Yu Teng. "Don't do anything. Explaining won't make this better."

"But-" Surely Sam's father should know that all his accusations back then was all lies, surely Sam deserved to have his name cleared, at least for his parents.

"Bao, just let it be."