Kindness

They walked for what seemed like hours, night had fallen and Iyla could not see Pandra but felt her presence and knew that she continued to follow them. Clearly the reason she had not been more fighty and fire breathy earlier had been because she knew that the Elves were not to be feared. Her cry had been to tell them help had come.

Alona was speaking in hushed tones to Sam. His face was pained and their mood sombre, he said very little in reply. Iyla strained to listen in but couldn't, Bill had far too many questions for her. Despite the fact that she knew little more about their current situation than he did, she did try and fill him in as best she could with what Sam had told her, about her family and about Kade. It really only served to show her just how little she knew but Bill drank it all in eagerly, he seemed far more unfazed by the whole thing than she did but then, he was still who he thought he'd always been she supposed. Unlike her, he only had their surroundings to get his head round, she had a whole new history to learn about.

When Iyla explained to Bill how his injuries had been healed, to her surprise, he grinned.

"Well that's handy," he said, as if she'd just told him she'd found a fiver rather than that she was only half human and had magical powers, "I wish I'd known that after I punched Dean Crick on the nose, my knuckles hurt for days after that."

"I thought you might find it a bit - well - weird," said Iyla with a relieved smile.

"Punkett, you've always been a bit weird, let's be honest." Bill joked, "And I think I've had so much 'weird' over the last 24 hours that I might as well just get used to it, there's probably plenty more to come."

Iyla marvelled at how matter of fact he was being, "I wish I could see things that way," Iyla sighed, "I just can't get my head around it all."

"Well, I have just been told that dragons and Elves exist and I am now in a different world," said Bill, "You have to cope with that and the fact that you are half Elf and some evil dark somebody or other is out to get you. I think you have a right to be a little more overwhelmed than me." Bill was saying exactly what she'd been thinking and it made her feel better, like he somehow understood.

"I suppose," she agreed and smiled at her friend, "I'm glad you're here." She quickened her pace for a moment to reach Sam, "Uncle Sam, can we stop for a few minutes? I just need to pop back there a little bit." She pointed behind them, there was just enough pale moonlight see a little way behind them as well as in front and the longer they walked in the dark, the better their eyes had adjusted.

"Iyla, I'm not letting you out of my sight," said Sam.

"Er - you're going to have to," Iyla said, "I noticed a good bush with plenty of privacy but I still don't want anyone standing too close if you know what I mean."

Sam looked confused and Iyla rolled her eyes, "I'm going to the ladies!" she said, "I'll make sure I can still see you."

Sam laughed and nodded, waving her away "Oh, ok sorry," he said, "Well, like you say keep us in sight, between Pandra above and Chiro and Arden in front, we should be safe from surprises, but don't go far."

Iyla hurried back they way they had come and, a few moments later, suitably relieved, she paused just for a few seconds to look up to the sky through a gap in the trees overhead, taking a deep breath. The air was sweet and fresh and the night sky was magnificent, even just the small patch she could see held more stars than she could count, like a fine dusting of sugar. She realised with a small smile that she felt calm and relaxed walking through forest and she had a sudden desire to take off her battered old trainers and feel the ground beneath her feet. The soft earth and dry leaves of the forest floor felt wonderful and she tied her laces together and slung her trainers over her shoulder.