CHAPTER EIGHT

Name: Dean Martin

Year: 1941

Age: 24

Such a smile would have buckled the knees of many a fella, but not me. I finish out the song strong, with only a few stolen glances giving away my interest.

Stepping back from the microphone, I lean towards Eddie, who is cleaning his trombone before the next song, and ask with a low voice, "Who's that dame over there?" Eddie glances up, searching the crowd, although I don't know how he can see with all that sweat dripping from his dark forehead and into his eyes.

"What dame? Dino, it's a full house!"

"The pretty one in the back row, with the white dress." I glance again in her direction, and she's talking to some people who seem to be her folks. Eddie cranes his neck until he turns back to me, a glimmer of recognition in his eyes.

"Oh! Don't you know who that is? That's Mayor Lausche and his daughter. Come on, I'll introduce you."

"You know, I'm not so sure . . . " I take out my pocket square and dab at the moisture gathering above my lips, returning to the microphone. She'll probably be gone tomorrow, so I'll just have to be satisfied from afar.

Two Days Later

"Do you want someone to show you around town? You've been here for a couple days now, haven't ya?"

"What, do you use that line on all the starry-eyed tourists here at the hotel?" She turns around to face me, red lips curling up into a smile dripping with sarcasm.

"Only the pretty ones."

"Well, thanks, but no thanks." She moves to walk away, but I stop her with my hand lightly on her arm.

"At least tell me your name, darling." I croon, undeterred by her coldness.

"I'm Betty. See you around, Dean." With that, she turns on her hot pink heels and leaves just as I open my mouth to tell her my name.

I watch her leave with a crooked grin, shaking my head. I know that she likes me; soon she'll admit it.

###

Name: Dean Martin

Year: 1941

Age: 24

Heat rises to my cheeks, and my palms are clammy as I wipe them on my slacks. Why the hell am I so nervous? It's just the moment that I'm going to see if Betty's the one. The one? That's such bull, but that's what everyone tells me anyway.

The soft tugging on my sleeve pulls me from my thoughts, and I glance down to Betty, who slips her hand in mine.

"So, I guess it's time to meet some of your real friends—I hope they have some embarrassing stories about little Dino." Betty teases as we walk into the cigar shop, smile bringing a rosy flush to her prominent cheeks.

"I don't think you'll be so lucky. Now watch this. I'm sure you've never seen one of these in Chester, now have ya?" I say softly as I nod to Stogie, who's sitting behind the counter with a hardened expression, and watch Betty's awed expression in amusement when we go through a hidden cubby into the back room.

"You used to work here?"

"Yep." I study her closely, not sure if she's going to turn up her nose or break into a smile. Her eyes dart back and forth from person to person, analyzing the whole room like a seasoned Dick Tracy, until she lets out a soft sigh and turns to me expressionlessly.

"I like it. It's . . . a little rough around the edges, but if I were a man, I'd probably spend time here."

"I'm glad you're not a man."

"Hm. Are you, now?"

"Mhm." I murmur, leaning down to press my lips gently against hers. That is, until the whole damn place fills with shouts alerting the entire town to my return.

"Dino!"

"Hey, Dino's back!"

Before I know it, we're surrounded, and Betty's hand tightens around mine. Lighting a cigarette, I let it hang lazily between my lips before introducing her to everyone. My face doesn't betray the quickening of my heart in the moment of silence between their meeting her and their reaction.

"You picked well, Dino. She'll certainly be one to keep you in check."

"Shut up." I playfully hit Eddie in the arm, and he laughs, shaking his head.

"No, but I'm only joking, Dino. Betty's great." It feels like a weight is lifted from my chest, and I grin, squeezing Betty's hand reassuringly. It looks like I was right after all.