Seven

Kuran. That's all I could think about. Since when did Hanabusa call Kaname 'Kuran'. He was trying to be honest, but also hide something. None of it was a lie though, it just felt different. And what Kaname said. It bothered me a lot. Who did I think of when Kaname talked about that stuff? It wasn't the person I expected. In class, Takuma came to get me.

"Erika? Lord Kaname would like to see you now."

I nodded. "Okay."

Kaname set up a picnic on school grounds in the shade. I sat down. It was only a moment before I asked him what I was dying to know. "Kaname, why are you trying to set me up with Hanabusa?"

The look on Takuma's face said it all. Kaname laughed. "You couldn't let him out of earshot first?"

"I need to know, Kaname. Why?"

"I wasn't really trying to. I think you know that already. I was only trying to keep Hanabusa out of my way. You just happened to be the person to do that. Despite you hating me, you still trust me."

"Do I really have a choice? I was entrusted with your biggest secret. Something I will never be able to tell anyone. Something I don't even fully understand myself. And in return, I help you fulfill your dream. A dream of peace between humans and vampires. I am your mediator. I am the evidence it's possible."

He sighed, grabbing my face. He looked me dead in the eyes. "I didn't like what you said last night. About how nobody could love you. I'm here."

"But you love Yuki Cross. I'm your backup wife."

"I love both of you. Equally."

I shook my head. "Vampire society is so confusing. I don't want to be shared. Hanabusa is right. I deserve someone who loves me."

"And you want that someone to be Akatsuki?"

"I thought that person was Akatsuki, but I've seen the way he looks at her. It's the way she looks at you. The way you look at Yuki."

"What about Hanabusa?"

"Hanabusa Aido. Nickname, Idol. Popular with everybody, especially girls. He's not exactly the type of person I want to be overly associated with."

Kaname laughed. "And yet, you tried to protect him from Hio, did you not?"

"Of course you knew about that. I was just doing my job as a part of the displinary committee. Besides, he's the heir to the Aido family. He's the cousin and best friend of Akatsuki. There'd be too many issues of he were to die."

"Erika, I need to ask you something. A favor from me to you. As purebloods."

"What is it?"

"First of all, I want to tell you a story. Do you know why I renamed you Erika?"

"I do."

He smiled. "Do you remember your past? Before Hio attacked your family with level E's?"

My heart pounded. "You knew?"

"Of course I knew. I know everything. Now answer."

I shook my head no. "I remember nothing from before Akatsuki saving me."

"I was worried you'd say that. So you don't remember your old name either, do you?" I shook my head. "That's very bad. I wish I could tell you, but I cannot speak your name here. Not anywhere. But I can tell you why Hio did what she did. If you'd like to hear."

"Of course I do, Kaname. I want to know."

Kaname told me a story about a vampire from long ago. A vampire that became human in sacrificing another pureblood. He was one of the original vampires, and he'd lived a very long time in hiding. He became a human in order to be with a vampire woman who also wanted to be human. They lost their memories after a few years, and against all odds, became real humans. This former pureblood vampire had a beautiful wife, five children and a good business. Hio knew about him and killed the family. One survived though. Kaname told me all about that despite being human, I am related directly to one of the original vampires. I almost couldn't believe it, but I knew deep in my heart, that was the truth. Kaname hadn't told me a single lie. His voice broke as he spoke, so I knew it was painful to talk about. Hio was really there to kill my father, a former pureblood vampire who became human. It was hard to hear.