Prologue

Death has always been there by the door.

Waiting for your time to end.

And when it does, he'll come knocking to retrieve the soul and deliver it to the afterlife.

"... Or so they say," A lady in her 60's said as she looked down on a 4-year-old child sitting on her lap who's listening to her attentively.

"Then does that mean he's a bad person?" The child asks as she looked at her grandma.

"Hohoho. My dear, he's not a bad person. He's simply doing his job in guiding the souls to the heavens," Her Grandmother chuckled as she tucks the child's hair behind her ear.

"How can you be so sure that he'll guide them to heaven?" The child asked again.

"Because the one who gave him the job is our God from the heavens. He will surely do his job," Her Grandma answered.

"Then... What if the soul doesn't want to leave yet? What will he do?"

"That... I don't know. All I know is that when your time comes, you can only accept it and let him guide you," She answered again.

"Then what if a person wanted to die but it wasn't his time yet?" She asked curiously again that made her grandmother looked at her in shock but she didn't make it obvious.

"Why would someone want to die when life is beautiful?" Her grandma asked back.

"I'm just curious. What will he do then if there was a person who wishes to die but not yet his time?"

"Hohoho. I also don't know. Perhaps, Death might give him reasons to live to motivate him to continue his life 'til its time," Her grandma answered smiling but sadness showed in her eyes.

"Grandma..." The child whispered as she looked at her grandma's sad gaze.

"Hannah!" A feminine voice called out that made the child's attention look at the source of the voice.

"Mom!" She called out as she gets down from her Grandma's lap and ran up to her mother.

"There you are, sweetie! I've been looking for you everywhere. Let's go, your Dad's waiting for us in the car," The mother said as she pats the child's head.

"Mmkay!" She answered then came to her grandma and kissed her cheek. "Bye, Grandma!" She said then her mother carried her up.

"Mom, were you talking to her again about...that again?" The child's mother asked Grandma.

"We're just talking bout the beauty of life, my dear," the grandmother smiled at her sighing daughter.

"Hah. Please, Mom. Stop. She's a kid and you're talking about depressing stuff to a 4-year-old child. What do you think would happen if she talked about those kinds of things in her school? She'd get isolated for being weird!" She said as she massaged the bridge of her nose. "*sigh*... Whatever. We'll be going now. Bye, Mom. We'll visit you next week."

With that, the mother and child left. But as they walk away, she looked back at her Grandma looking and smiling at a shadow by the door. Then slowly, her Grandma looked at her with a tear that flowed out of her eyes.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

This is a work of Fiction. A product of the author's imagination. Any names, places, events, or whatever that may have a resemblance to a person, living or dead, or actual event is purely coincidental.

Nica_0811