Chapter 2

***This chapter contains scenes of spousal abuse. I don't condone such behavior, but at the time period this story takes place, it was considered acceptable behavior of a husband to do to his wife.  Sadly, domestic abuse is still an ongoing issue. Read with caution. ***

Three months after my wedding (how strange to use such a joyous word for such a somber event!) I had not once left my new home. (Strange too, to use the word 'home' for a place so utterly bereft of warmth.) Gregory would not allow it. Oh, he did not lock the doors or windows; he simply forbade me to go out, saying it was not safe. I did not think that was the real reason, though; I believed his actions were meant to make me feel his control over me. And since he did not care to take me to the theater, nor anywhere that couples of our station normally went, I went nowhere at all.

One crisp day in autumn when Gregory was out on business (I still did not know what business my husband tended to, nor where he went when he was not home) I decided to defy his orders and go to the market. Why could I not buy our fruit myself when I wished to, rather than send one of the servants? I felt I would go mad from confinement to the mansion and the grounds, lovely as they were. Unfortunately, Gregory's man-servant, David, happened to see me as I descended the steps wearing my cloak.

"Mistress Julia, where are you going?" he asked.

"To the market."

David started to protest. "But Master Gregory said —"

"Master Gregory is not here. I shall go where I wish, when I wish. It is impudent for you to inquire, as it is for you to attempt to stop me."

"Forgive me, Mistress Julia," David inclined his head as he spoke. I knew he would inform my husband, but so great was my longing for a change of routine, and to be around other people, that I refused to fret about that. I lifted my face to the weak autumn sunshine as I walked out of my prison-home.

At the bustling market, I wandered among the stalls to see which fruit looked the most appetizing, reveling in the scents of freshly harvested apples and pears. I stopped at a stall where a young man was tending to something in the back. When I cleared my throat, he came towards the displays of fruits and vegetables and said, "Aye?" The roughness of his voice seemed out of place. As I looked up from the fruit and saw his face, I stared in surprise.

"Adam!" I said. Adam stared back at me with cool detachment. He pushed back his long light brown hair, and after a long uncomfortable moment, he spoke.

"What do you need, Madame?" he asked in an indifferent tone.

"Some apples, please," I answered coldly, angry and confused about his behavior towards me. Adam nodded and turned away. When he finally looked back at me I saw through the mask; a brief flash of pain and bitterness entered his eyes and then was gone, leaving his careful expression of detachment. He looked back at his wares.

"How many do you need, Juliana?" he asked. His voice had lost its hostility.

I replied more kindly as well. "About ten, Adam," I replied. He carefully chose ten good apples and put them in the basket I held out.

I rummaged in my little drawstring bag for the right amount of coins, and added some extra, for I was sure his family needed it. When I handed him the coins, he did not count them, but simply took them and smiled faintly. "I haven't seen you here, Julia. I know you've always loved to come to the market, even though you've never needed to, having servants and all. What happened?" he asked, lowering his voice.

I looked away. What could I tell him? Not the whole truth, surely. "Gregory does not like for me to go out. He does not know I have come," I answered with a sigh.