❝𝕮𝖆𝖓'𝖙 𝖙𝖆𝖐𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖊𝖞𝖊𝖘 𝖔𝖋𝖋 𝖔𝖋 𝖞𝖔𝖚...❞

𝕾𝖚𝖒𝖒𝖆𝖗𝖞: Lockwood can't take his eyes off Lucy and it leads to some turns in their 'business' relationship...

𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌𝖘: None. Fluffy as heck!

𝕬/𝕹:This is my first Lockwood & Co. One-Shot! I hope you like it! It was so fun to write and focus in on Lockwood since the books follow Lucy! Also this is set before anyone besides the OG three Agents join Lockwood & Co. It's just Lucy, Lockwood, and George. And no spoilers in the comments about the third and fourth and fifth books. I haven't finished them yet! Alright, here goes! 

☞  ☜

𝕬𝖑𝖙𝖍𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍 𝖎𝖙'𝖉 𝖔𝖓𝖑𝖞 𝖇𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝖆 𝖞𝖊𝖆𝖗, Anthony Lockwood could feel himself growing closer to the only girl employee of his company; Lucy Carlyle. It was shameful to admit, but Lockwood knew there was no skirting around it. Lately, he'd caught himself looking at Lucy no matter the place or time. Whether it was a free afternoon lounging in the living room, in the midst of a case chasing a Visitor, or one of the more awkward moments; like the time he and Lucy took a long carriage ride to a case and Lockwood realized very suddenly that he'd been staring at her in a whimsical daze for twenty minutes. At first Lockwood told himself that he was merely concerned for Lucy.

That much was true, but it was only half of the equation.

Sure, Lucy was spending far too much time with the Skull, talking to the jar non-stop. She continued to press Lockwood's buttons and attempt to 'connect' with ghosts during cases to improve her Talent. Lucy was becoming somewhat obsessed with her ability to speak to the dead. Though he'd never dare say it, Lockwood was beginning to see the same dangerous curiosity in George inside Lucy of all people! Her sympathy with Visitors was getting out of hand. It really did worry Lockwood.

But no, that wasn't the reason for why he kept staring.

The truth made Lockwood's face burn and his blood go cold.

How could he afford to think about anyone that way? Who had he ever cared about that lived to tell the tale? No one. Not his parents, not his sister; nobody. Wouldn't it be cruel of him to inflict that on Lucy? And to think...he could lose her...

Lockwood let out a sigh and dropped the newspaper he was holding up onto his chest. He'd been staring at the same page for ten minutes, lost in this inner battle over an oblivious girl sitting in the chair opposite to him. George had gone quiet too. Probably dozing off after cramming the last of their donuts into his mouth. Lucy was always very quiet, unless she was yelling. The smallest things could set her off. As long as she felt strongly about the topic, Lucy could yell for hours. She certainly did this with George and the Skull. A crooked smile graced Lockwood's face as he thought of all the times he walked past her door, only to catch blips of her furiously arguing with silence. Really she was speaking with the Skull, but Lockwood's Listening wasn't nearly as strong as Lucy's so to him, the yelling was very much onesided.

"Something funny in the paper?" A sharp, mildly interested voice inquired.

Lockwood cracked an eye open. A lump caught in his throat as he spotted Lucy, curled up in the small sofa just a few feet away, an old book on foreign hauntings in hand. Her short hair fell about her face, neatly combed and beautiful against her pale skin and strong facial features. She really was quite pretty. Up close or far away. Her eyes briefly lifted from her book and met Lockwood's. Lockwood's heart thumped against his rib cage as he floundered out of his daze. He'd gotten distracted so easily, admiring her, looking into her soft brown eyes. What had she asked him? She had asked something...hadn't she?