15. Comrades

I awoke by the window with a tremendous headache, still sitting in Monty's chair, unsure what time of day it was or why I was still there. I stumbled out into the hall without waking him, hobbling like a baby learning to walk, managing to get to my room to change before anyone saw me. By the time I arrived downstairs in the servants' hall, everyone from last night's party was already there eating a delicious smelling breakfast. Amy was dishing up some scrambled egg to Frank and James whilst Doris seemed to be assisting her preparing the trays for the breakfasts upstairs. You could take the servant anywhere but you couldn't take the serve out of the servant.

"Christ, I slept in," I said as I entered and slumped into my chair.

"You ought to have kids, Jack, you'd know how to get up early then," James said, acting as though he owned the place.

I hated it when my brother spoke as though I had no idea what it felt like to be tired. I was run off my feet all day long and it was his wife who did the childcare! He'd never had it so easy since he got wed. I ignored the comment and slurped my tea, trying my best to also ignore the stares from the other guests around the table. "Maybe if my kid brother behaved himself, I wouldn't be so tired," I let out, not intending to.

He looked at me and then placed his teacup down harshly on the saucer. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"I don't want to talk about it in front of everyone."

"No, no, Jack," James said, holding his hands up. "If you want to say something, say it in front of everyone. I've got nothing to hide."

I gave James a deep stare. "Really, Jimmy? You want me to talk about the things bothering me? Want me to reveal some truths, do you?"

He fell silent then, head bowed down, looking at the table, ignoring the others who looked embarrassed at witnessing a disagreement between brothers.

I couldn't bear the awkwardness. I took James' hand. "Look, let's forget this. I'm sorry, Jim, let's not have angry words today."

He smiled at me. "I'm sorry too, mate, I get carried away sometimes. Get it from you, like."

"You do! I'm gonna miss you when you go home!"

And I was going to miss him, no word of untruth. He may have been a troublemaker; he may have been a thorn in my side and a pain in my neck but in truth I'd do anything for him. I already had done everything for him. Oh, the things I'd done to protect him. I'm not sure if he really appreciated how much I'd done and how much he owed me.

I shovelled down my eggs as quickly as I could and straightened myself out, rushing upstairs with the tureen for their breakfast. Placing it onto the sideboard upstairs, I put it down just in time for the guests to arrive, all entering the room except for Rosamund who insisted on a tray in her room. No doubt she was sleeping off a hangover! If only I had the luxury!

"Jack," Monty whispered as he approached me and picked up his breakfast plate and started scooping scrambled egg into a heap on his plate. "I didn't even see you leave this morning. I am sorry I kept you talking last night."

"No problem."

"I say, old bean," Peter said, arriving beside us in the queue for the breakfast. "My lovely fiancé is off to her parents for the weekend so would it be beautifully rude of me to invite myself here for a day or two? I do hate being on my lonesome."

"You're very welcome," I answered for Monty. "Sorry, I mean, what sir wishes."

Monty glowered at me. "Sir wishes you to stay," he replied.