Part 2

It's been thirty seven minutes and in that time I've looked at my watch a grand total of 18 times. I swear we're in some sort of time vortex where minutes are actually hours. It sure feels like it anyway. On my left Crystal is clinging onto my arm whilst on my right I've got Sandy telling me some very long winded story about how she couldn't find any shoes to match her dress. In front of me stands her mother who not so subtly keeps nudging her closer to me. I try to put a somewhat interested face on and keep occasionally nodding as I sip my glass of champagne.

Every year it's torture but somehow this year feels worse. Since turning thirty my lack of my mate has been affecting me more and more. The loneliness is becoming more consuming and harder to brush off. It's like a blackness gnawing away at my heart and I can't seem to stop it no matter how much of a brave face I put on for others.

Although deep in my own dark thoughts I'm still fully aware the moment she enters the room. Her shrill voice like nails stabbing into my conscious. I glance towards the door where she stands in an ultra revealing red dress, clinging to her father's arm and scanning the room with eagle eyes. Knowing she's searching for me I quickly turn my back, excuse myself rather abruptly from Crystal, Sandy and her mother, and flee the room. Cowardly I know but I just can't handle Rain right now. I need a break.

Exiting the ballroom I stride across the lobby with purpose and slip into the casino opposite. It's still early in the ball so no other wolves are here at the moment, though later I know many of them will make their way here. It's one of the reasons why our annual gathering is always held here in Vegas. Work hard, play hard is definitely the motto for the week. The days filled with the meetings, the nights with gambling and drinking. Doesn't hurt that I own four of the main hotels/casinos on the strip so it's good for business really. Still the casino is fairly full with human patrons having their own fun. I wander aimlessly among them, enjoying being anonymous for a time but another glance at my watch signals I really should return. But just as I turn to leave I catch the faintest whiff of something and instantly my wolf Firenz is on high alert.

Slowly I turn back around and sniff again. It's faint, it's very faint, but it smells incredible. Like strawberries mixed with roses mixed with something else I can't quite put my finger on. Firenz is starting to leap around in excitement inside my head but I'm still frozen to the spot.

It can't be. After all this time.

Trying desperately not to get my hopes up I take a slow step forward and sniff again. Heart pounding, palms sweaty, mouth dry I follow the faint trail of heaven through the casino. When the scent starts to get stronger I know I'm getting closer and hope is blooming in my chest like a brilliant sunflower.

I follow the path out of the casino and into the nightclub next door, bypassing the bouncers who recognise me instantly as their boss and let me through without a word. She's here, she's definitely here.

The club isn't too full yet and as I quickly scan the room my eyes lock on to the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Sat in a booth with four others, laughing with a cocktail in hand, I come to a stunned standstill. With utter glee Firenz lets out the one word I'd been too scared to say when I first smelt her, 'Mate, Mate, Mate!'

I've found her. After all this time, I've found her!