2

"Get up, An!" screeched Konjit, her earphones in. Grumbling, I pulled myself out of bed, irritated. "Weren't you gonna go flying?" Konjit inquired, chucking my red tracksuit and a graphic t-shirt that read 'GRYFFINDOR PRIDE' at me. I nodded, realising Madeline was gone. "Madeline's been practicing her flying-you know how badly she wants to be made a Beater this year. You should go downstairs, fly with her."

"Are the boys gonna come?" I asked, remembering how James had been discussing practicing his flying in time for the tryouts. "You can try shaking James outta bed," Konjit suggested as I changed into the clothes Konjit had thrown at me. "You wanna come?" I asked, grabbing my broom-a second-edition Firebolt. Of course, it was nothing compared to the all-new Starlight series, but it was definitely one of the speediest brooms around. "Why not? I can braid my hair here or there." 

Konjit pulled on a jacket and we both made our way to the boys' dormitories. I shook James awake. He simply grumbled, looking incredibly annoyed. "An?" he mumbled. He then broke out into a smile, his eyes fluttering closed. "An..." I frowned. "Hey, you wanna go flying?" I asked. James swatted at me. "Get away from me, Pat!" Confused, I left the dormitory with Konjit, the two of us making our way down to the Quidditch stadium. I saw Madeline whizzing about, hitting a Bludger with a bat as she chased it at full speed. I hopped onto my broom, kicking off the ground as I focused all my nervous energy on flying. 

Whereas most Chasers reasoned that their aptitude for flying came from their natural speed, I begged to differ. Judging from my track record, I was the slowest runner ever. I'd never been any good at Muggle sports, of which I'd had to endure plenty at the local comprehensive my mother sent me to. When I arrived at Hogwarts, short and and of average build, I'd never thought I would turn out to be such a good flier. It wasn't until the first flying lesson we had with Madam Hooch two years ago now that I'd realised where my talents lay.

As clear as day, I remembered shouting 'Up!' to the Nimbus at the my feet, watching as only my broom shot straight up into my hand. Excited, I'd decided to break Madam Hooch's rule, and while she wasn't watching, I'd mounted the broom and taken off. Too busy helping Konjit, Madam Hooch didn't notice I was gone, which gave me a chance to explore riding on the broom. As I gained altitude, my thoughts narrowed down onto the force of the broom and, (ironically,) like magic, I'd woven through the turrets of Hogwarts Castle. Below me, James, who I hadn't gotten close with yet, whispered to his friend, "She must've been a hatstall between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, Hufflepuffs are usually amazing fliers..."

It was then that Madam Hooch noticed me whizzing toward the Owlery and caught up to me on her broom, too shocked by my skills to punish me.

Instead, she took me straight to Headmistress McGonagall, leaving the rest of the class (without brooms) momentarily. I wasn't at all startled, smirking to myself as Madam Hooch told McGonagall about how I'd performed on my broom. The latter had all-too-happily written me a note to take to the Quidditch trials, where I had flown my heart out and made the team as a Chaser. 

Even now, as I flew circles around Madeline, I could feel my heart picking up, the wind whistling past my ears. Taking the Quaffle from a set of Quidditch balls, I practiced shooting, getting Madeline to act as the Keeper. Not once did I miss (mainly because Madeline wasn't a Keeper.) "Hey, we better get back!" Konjit called, having finished doing her hair. Madeline and I nodded, zooming downward to meet her. It was then that our conversation finally started, since Madeline and I had been playing in close-to-absolute silence. "You were both so good!" Konjit exclaimed. "I wish I were that good on a broom..."

I laughed. "Well, you're amazing at Transfiguration and Potions, not to mention the prettiest girl in our grade." Konjit threw her head back and laughed, just proving how good-looking she was. "Then why are Patrick and James crushing on you?" she demanded. After a moment of silence, I burst out laughing. "No! That's gross!" Madeline raised her eyebrows. "Don't say you don't like any of them back, An..."