CHAPTER 6 : The Proposal

ALL HELENA wished for at the moment is to hurt and curse at him for mentioning her poor older sister, but she refrained to do so since the tall man named Moran was watching her; and God knows what he could do. Albert and Louis were also there, and she knew they were aiding William.

There was really no escape from them.

She slapped away his hand that was holding her chin, his touch sickening her. Gritting her teeth, she sneered, "How did you know that? Don't drag my sister into this, you deceitful liar!"

"I mean no harm to her. I know how it feels to have a sibling, and I understand how you would do anything just to give them a comfortable life." William glanced at his two brothers for a second, then focused his gaze on her once more. "Unless you want the other option, the one without involving your sister?"

"I have options?" Helena laughed sarcastically. "Don't make fun of me, Mister Moriarty."

"Believe me, Miss Helena. I am perfectly serious about this matter, for this is significant to me." He exclaimed, not even fazed in the slightest.

She glared. "Let's hear the second option then, and I will be the one to decide whether it's significant or not."

He smiled. "Money."

Her heart dropped to her stomach. "...what?"

"We'll give you money." William elaborated, "Or even a house, a carriage, education. Whatever you desire. But of course, everything comes for a price. In exchange, we want your silence upon the incident about Lord Enders."

At his words, Helena saw red. Her mind was clouded with fury, and she teared up in exasperation. Her mouth opened and closed for a few times, but her voice failed her. She was utterly speechless. The small hatred she had for him grew in size while her blood boiled and her eyebrows scrunched together, showing her utter disappointment towards the offer.

But a part of her was tempted to say: yes, she'll take the money. She'll squeeze their fortunes out of them, anything to bring Annelise back to normal, even if the guilt of being quiet slowly eats her alive. After all, her parents raised her to be a slave of the upperclassmen, to always agree to their useless opinions and unfair judgements.

Even so, money wasn't the answer right now. She can't allow the Moriartys to bring harm to someone again because of her careless decisions.

"You-do you think our world revolves around money, just because we lack of it? I won't choose a large amount of pounds over justice!" Helena spat, now yelling at a loud volume.

The smile that was plastered on his lips turned into small, amused chuckles, obviously a form of jeering her. Her cheeks and the tips of her ears heated up in embarassment, though she convinced herself not to back down. She won't let them make fun of commoners like her and her family.

After he composed himself, he told her, "Of course you'd turn it down. For you are a prideful and an overly righteous woman, aren't you, Miss Helena?"

She didn't answer.

"You are such an open book, with all your words written on your eyes." He taunted, gazing deep in her eyes. "You do not wish to acquire money, and I fully respect your reasons in doing so.

But I am afraid this plan of mine holds utmost importance to me and my brothers. You will not step your foot outside this house if you cannot guarantee your silence. So you've no other choice but to choose the other option."

"If you wanted me to be silent, then why did you even reveal your identity in the first place?" She accused.

William placed his hands behind him and patiently explained, "Like Mister Moran said, you are the one I chose."