The Date

"Ah! Free at last!" Marinette yawned and stretched her arms up above her as she curled up on her couch after a night of patrolling.

"School done for the week, check! Homework done, check! Patrol done, check!" She laughed to herself and kicked her feet up as she leaned back on her couch, grabbing a macaroon from the plate her father had brought upstairs earlier.

Just as she reached for her phone to scroll through some memes, she heard a knock at her window.

"Ugh, what now?" She turned around, annoyed that her 'me time' had been interrupted.

She locked eyes with Chat Noir who's grinning face stared back at her through the window. She pointed up towards her ceiling, signaling him to meet her on the balcony.

On instinct, Tikki quickly hid in Marinette's pajama pants pocket as Marinette went up to her roof.

"Hey, Kitty what's up? No patrol today?" She grabbed his hand as he helped her up.

"Yeah, we finished early. Ladybugs been rushing off after patrols and de-akumitazations lately. I think the jealousy is getting to her!" He laughed and danced around happily.

"If only you knew she ran home just to see you again." Marinette thought to herself before turning her attention back to him

"Haha well, you've seen me! Here I am so you can go ahead and head home now-" She tried to win back the mini-vacation she was in the middle of

"What? No! Have you forgotten about our date?" Chat Noir pouted

"Date?" Marinette tilted her head wondering when she had ever agreed to a date with him

"In the rule book!" Chat Noir reminded her

"Oh! The Date, yes haha yeah that date I remember!"

"Which is why you're in your pajamas?" Chat Noir looked her up and down

"Hey! Not all of us can just say a few words and magically look good!" Marinette protested

"Oh, you think I look good?" Chat Noir leaned into her face and smirked

"Shut up! And close your eyes I'll get dressed quickly" She pushed him away from the door before closing it and quickly changed into the same clothes she had been wearing earlier that day.

She placed Tikki in her bag and swung it over her shoulder as she climbed back up to her roof.

"Alright, let's go." She said standing in front of him

"Excuse me while I-" he began before swooping her up in his arms

"Hold on tight!" He instructed

Marinette threw her arms over his neck and felt as his hands gripped her body.

He quickly jumped from roof to roof, making his way to the Eiffel tower.

As soon as they got there he gently placed her down in front of a picnic blanket laid out.

"A picnic on top of the Eiffel tower? Isn't this a little too much for a fake relationship?"

"Nope! I'd do this and more for Ladybug! So, pretend you're Ladybug, would you like it?" He smiled at her and opened his arms towards the setup.

Marinette stepped closer and looked around to fully grasp the scene. The perimeter of the picnic blanket was decorated in rose petals and candles. In the center of the blanket was a single rose on top of a picnic basket.

"What's in there?" She pointed to the basket

"Oh, naturally it would be all of Ladybug's favorite foods but... uh I still gotta ask her what they are." Chat Noir laughed sheepishly and scratched the back of his neck

"But for now, since this is just a practice it's full of all your favorite foods!" He skipped over to sit down on the blanket and patted the spot next to him, motioning her to sit down.

"Here, I've got Macaroons." He smiled at her, hoping for approval.

"Well, honestly I was ready to make fun of you for how corny this was gonna be but it's actually pretty sweet!" Marinette smiled as she followed Chat Noir who had already taken a seat in the middle of the blanket and began unpacking the picnic basket.

"Since it's late I figured you wouldn't want a heavy meal so I've got your charcuterie board basics! Fruits, crackers, some fruit spread, and best of all, cheese!" He excitedly assembled everything as Marinette sat back to stare at him in awe.

"Maybe a date with him isn't the worst thing..." She thought to herself.

"Of course! Before you eat, a selfie to send to Ladybug!" He grinned and pulled Marinette in for a picture.

Marinette only chuckled as she began to eat while he typed a text to Ladybug.

"Oh by the way" Chat Noir reached into the picnic basket and brought out two slender black smartphones.

"Here, I know in the contract we said we'd tell each other everything but I figured how would we do that when we have no communication with each other, right?" Chat Noir explained

Marinette nodded, her mouth full of food.

"So I brought us these matching burner phones. Basically, the only number you can call is mine and the only number my phone can call is yours. They can't be traced at all. I got it for us to keep you safe and for me to be able to reach you, especially in case of an emergency!" He handed her one and put the other in his pocket.

"Thanks but, how'd you even get a hold of something like this?" Marinette casually fed him a cracker with cheese as she took the phone from him and looked it over.

"Eh, I might have a little bit of money but that's all I'll say! If I reveal anything else I might give you a clue as to who I really am!" He laughed and swallowed the soft cheese.

"I get it no need to explain, thanks anyway. It's a really thoughtful gift. Next time I'll be sure to bring you something else!" Marinette smiled and put the phone in her bag.

"Already that excited for our second date princess?" Chat Noir teased

"You wish!" Marinette rolled her eyes at him and got up to lean on the railing and stare at the city lights.

Chat Noir watched as she rested her head in her palm and smiled.

It felt weird watching his friend like this. Maybe it was the fact that for once in his life he didn't feel self-conscious about being with a friend. There was nothing to tie him down to reality just him and her up there with nothing but the moon to bear witness.

"Ah, what is this feeling in my stomach? In my heart? It feels funny like... like butterflies... maybe I should lay off the cheese." Chat Noir thought to himself

He pushed the weird new thoughts out of his head and turned his focus back to Marinette who was pointing up at the sky and naming constellations.

"I could get used to this..." He muttered softly

"What? I didn't hear you!" Marinette turned around and shouted at him

"I said I love you!" He joked

"Yeah, I hate you too!" She laughed and rolled her eyes at him.

She took his joke as a sign that he was lonely and walked over to sit with him again. She wished with all her heart that they could enjoy a date like this as Ladybug and Chat Noir. But until she was ready to reveal her identity to him, Chat Noir and Marinette would have to do.

"Let's finish up before my parents notice I'm missing." She said sitting down to assemble another cheese cracker.

"Sure thing Princess" Chat Noir responded and joined her in eating.

He smiled as she began to tell stories of her friends in school. He knew almost all of these stories by heart, especially because he was there to witness more than half of them. It was funny to watch her be herself, around him, around Adrien she always seemed so uncomfortable. Maybe someday they'd be able to sit and enjoy a picnic as Adrien and Marinette, but for now Chat Noir and Marinette would have to be enough for him.