Chapter 22

Harlow

Harlow

I sat on the wet curb, with my arms tightly wrapped around myself in an attempt to seek comfort.

Thankfully it had started raining so the restaurant's fire was put out before it got too out of control but the damage was done. When the explosion hit Malakai and I were thrown out of the building through the windows and landed on the pavement.

Due to Malakai's arms being wrapped around me I was pretty much unscathed.

The others in the restaurant, unfortunately, couldn't say the same.

Many were blown through the walls, the werewolves were lucky enough to have injuries that would heal in hours but the humans...

I put my face in my hands, pressed my eyes together. Seven humans died tonight and two escaped with fatal injuries. I didn't want to admit it but I knew they probably wouldn't last the night considering the lack of human healthcare we were provided.

Malakai was standing a few metres away from me, yelling into his phone. He, being the alpha, had to stay behind for damage control. He offered to call a driver to take me back to the castle but I insisted on staying.

I'm starting to wish I just left.

Seeing the burnt human bodies as they were loaded into ambulances nearly made me throw up. But I had to stay and look them in the eye, their barely recognizable figures reminded me what I was fighting for.

I hope Willow has a very rational explanation for this.

But I knew deep down she didn't. This was probably not even a tactical move considering she sent someone untrained and probably unhinged. What I wanted to know was how did she know where Malakai would be tonight?

"I've got some work to finish off in my office but you get a good nights rest okay?" 

I nodded but didn't reply I could tell he wanted to say something else but instead just sighed and walked away. The castle was dark and quiet as it was far beyond working hours which I liked as the silence gave me room to think.

I thought about the possible humans we blew up when we levelled that pack.

I thought about the number of children who are sick right now. No one to turn to because the hospital is in shambles.

I thought about the waiter in the restaurant who smiled at me extra-wide, happy to see a friendly face.

I thought about the teenager who'd sacrificed himself for no reason other than 'the cause'.

I thought about WBB.

I thought about Malakai.

All the thinking I was doing made me unaware of my surroundings when I was snuck up on. Someone harshly grabbed my shoulder and my fight or flight kicked in. I stuck my elbow back to stab them in the gut.

They let out a sound of surprise and I jumped into action. I grabbed one of their arms and flipped them over me, still holding onto their arm. I twisted it into an irregular position and got ready to break it when.

"Hey! Ow stop it!"

I immediately let go. I looked down at the person more closely and yanked off their ski mask. "Lameck!?" I whisper yelled. I helped him up to his feet and dragged us towards a window so I could get a better look at him. The moonlight shone through the windows making it easier to see him. "What are you doing here?"

He sighed and gave me a wide smile "I came here for you". His face was drowned in exhaustion, from the dark bags underneath his eyes to the slight hollowness in his cheeks. He looked like he'd not had a proper rest in days.

"Oh, Lameck" I reached up to cup his cheeks. "You shouldn't have risked your life to come here" I rubbed my thumb on his face. "What happened to you? You look like you haven't had a good nights rest in days".

"How could I rest when I know I'd thrown you to the wolves" He leaned into my palms "You have no idea how much I've missed you" Suddenly his head was moving towards mine with his lips puckered out.

Shit.

I stepped back, my hands falling back to my side. "Lameck you need to go," I told him seriously. I didn't want him to stick around to see what Malakai would do if he caught him here.

Lameck's face darkened in confusion "But I came here for you"

"Yes but I'm fine see?" I gestured to how I had no injuries or bruises "I'm okay". I ignored how uncomfortable I felt when his eyes trailed down my body.

"Why are you dressed like that?" He asked in a monotone voice.

I bit my lip "It's hard to explain. I'll tell you one day when we have more time okay? But right now you need to go" I started to push him. But he wasn't moving, instead, he wrapped his hand around my wrist.

"I'm not going anywhere without you" His fist tightened around my arm "Do you know how worried sick everyone's been, Willow's been trying everything to get you back".

My blood ran cold at the mention of my sister "And I need you to go tell her that I'm fine, tell her to stop the bombing madness and tell her that I have a plan and she shouldn't worry" 

His brows pinched together "You can tell her yourself because we're leaving now" He emphasized now and began tugging me down the hallway.

"I can't go Lameck, this is a part of a mission" I tried to reason with him "I'm spying on the werewolves okay? What better way to take down a kingdom than from the inside?" I explained.

"How are you spying on them?"

I shook my head "That doesn't matter but you need to go, now" He finally let go of me and nodded slowly "And please tell Willow I'm okay, please".

"I will" He started to walk backwards, putting on his ski mask again "And I'll be back for you I promise".

I hope he won't "I'll be counting on it" I forced a smile as he disappeared into the darkness of the castle. The only sound that he was here was the careful footsteps tiptoeing down the hall. I let out a sigh of relief and glanced out the window. Almost giving myself a whiplash when I made eye contact with two golden eyes from beyond the forest.