CHAPTER VII

Shilah awoke to the sound of rain pelting the side of the glass window of her room. She sat up in bed and looked out at the grey clouded skies. The medical room was small, with a single bed and enough room for doctors to move around. The sound of the rain pelting the window and the beeping of the heart monitor had a blissful chorus together.

The room was dimly lit, only the dull outside light illuminated the room. She fiddled with her thumbs and wondered when Sev would get back. He had left to on his mission a day ago but had not returned. He promised he’d visit her everyday until...until that day arrived. This was the first time he had missed a day.

She stared without motion, down at her feet. She wiggled her toes a bit to see if she could still move. Paralyzation was a sign that it was over. Though the plague had consumed her body she still...tried to act lively in front of her beloved Sev.

They both had met on a dull rainy day just like this one. He had found her walking along the base, soaking wet and without an umbrella. Soldiers didn’t need one. It was the cliche boy meets girl trope that everyone was use to. Eventually the two continued enjoying another’s company and decided to take it a step further. Though it was possible for her to retire, he could not. Not until the war that would last forever, was over. It didn’t matter to him. He said he’d become the strongest and end the war by himself if he had too. It was a small joke at the time he said it.

The door swung open and Sev came into the room. Her eyes lite up with excitement and she smiled, though it hurt to do so. With both hands, he held a pot full of clean water. Floating on the water was a white lotus flower.

“Look what I got for you,” he said.

“It looks gorgeous,” she replied.

Sev smiled and placed the it on the table beside her. “Sorry I missed a day,” he said.

“I understand, missions can be tough sometimes.”

Sev shook his head. “No, I got back from my mission on the same day. But I got pretty banged up so I had to spend it here.” He rubbed the back of his head. “Well that’s what East told me. I just woke up a few minutes ago.”

“Well I’m glad you came to visit me.”

He sat down on the bed beside her and gazed into her eyes. She looked paler than before and when he grabbed her hands they felt much colder and...fragile.

“So did you figure out what you want?” he asked.

She smiled and shook her head. “Not yet, but I’m coming close.”

She turned her attention to the white lotus that he brought. It reminded her of her family back at home. Her mother loved flowers and was an avid collector. Though she could only collect pictures of flowers since physical ones were impossible to come across.

“So how did you come across this flower? These are very hard to find. I’m sure the commander would let you just waltz it right in here.”

Sev bit his bottom lip and winked.

“I’m serious why don’t you tell me?”

“It’s a secret,” he said joyfully.

“Now I feel kind of bad since I never got you anything.”

Sev held her hand firmly. “You’re the reason I’m not a corpse. You give me reason to keep fighting.”

Shilha looked confused. “What do you mean by that?”

“Heh, just something AJ and I had talked about after the mission.”

“Ooh, that reminds me. Where is AJ anyways? I haven’t seen him in days.”