Chapter One

WOLFE MCREEDY

My head is killing me. And the couple arguing at the top of their lungs next door isn't helping. The walls of the apartment complex where I live are practically transparent with as much sound as they let through. I really need to buy a house, but they're so expensive. Being a patched member of the Bondi Boys and Babes Motor Club, or BBMC as we call ourselves, keeps me pretty broke. Everything goes toward the club right now. I mean I get paid and all for the jobs I do, but not as much of a cut as the club gets. Once I'm able to hack some of the bigger banks, I'm hoping my payment gets a little bigger.

What happened last night? All I remember is helping Barry and Dundee do a job, but after that it's fuzzy. I think they plied me with several bottles of vodka. Not that cheap shit either, but the top shelf stuff. I don't recall much after that. I'm not even sure how I got back to my apartment. I hope one of them brought me because driving drunk is never an option.

And just where the hell is my phone? Please don't tell me I lost it last night. After a good ten minute search I'm about to put a trip to Digital Den on my to do list for the day when a shrill ring interrupts my hunt. The damn thing is in the bottom of the hamper. I'm not sure how it got there since I'm still dressed in yesterday's clothes.

Still, I'm glad I don't have to buy a new phone. I wasn't relishing losing all my contact numbers.Six missed voice mails and fifteen text messages glare at me. Whatever Barry has going on must be important for him to blow up my phone.

"Where the hell have you been?" Barry growls when I ring him.

"Passed out cold. What do you need, man?"

"Get to the Billy."

I pull the phone away and shake my head. Didn't even say goodbye, just hung up on me. He must be good and truly pissed.

Normally, I'd run straight there, but I stink. I mean I really, really stink. So instead of hurrying, I take a shower, and put on some clean clothes. Barry's waited this long, he can wait a few more minutes.

Vincent, one of my hang-arounds for the club, is lounging in front of the apartments. She is actually a he on the inside and we treat him as such. The eye patch he's sporting is a reminder that he lost his eye in a fight. Its something I feel a little guilty about to be honest. He called me for help, but I couldn't get there. I was doing something for the club. If I had gone to help him, maybe he would still have the use of both eyes.

"What's up, Vincent?"

He jumps and turns around, startled. Vincent's always been a little nervous and tends to be down bad a lot. One day I hope to help him improve his self-confidence and sense of self-worth. Until he starts to be more confident, I'm not sure I'll ever get him moved up to prospect.

"Oh, hey Wolfe." He turns more fully toward me and I can't help the jaw drop.

"What are you wearing?"

He looks down and grimaces. "I lost a bet to Grandpops. I have to wear this skirt for the rest of the day."

Cruel, Colin, cruel. But he doesn't mean it in a bad way. He's a prankster and he doesn't understand some of his jokes can be considered cruel. Barry promised to talk to him about it.

"Well, since you're my hang-around, I say you can go get changed into your normal jeans."

Relief flashes over his face, but then he gets this look of determination. "Nah, I'm good. Can't let the old man get the best of me."

"You sure?"

He nods.

Maybe he's coming along better with the self-confidence than I thought.