PROLOGUE

FORBIDDEN FRUIT.

━━━━━ F.B. ━━━━━
CHAPTER ZERO.
DANGEROUS LIAISONS
❛ ready to comply.

A LOUD PIERCING SCREAM IS WHAT PULLED FATIMA MAIER OUT OF HER THOUGHTS. The pain in their voices and the roaring cries of help made the young nurse's hand tremble with fear as she treated one of the subjects from H.Y.D.R.A's upcoming project. She could feel the ground vibrate from the blaring screech echoing in the halls and diving towards the nurse room. She could feel her heart thumping loudly inside her chest, and her stomach churned.

Fatima's patient, who was mindlessly sitting onto a broken chair, snapped his fingers in front of her face, snapping her out of her daze. She looked at the subject, a frown forming into her features as she went back to work. Adding gentle touches to his wounds, she skillfully treated his arm and put one of her homemade ointments onto his gash.

When she was finished, the soldier gave her a quick nod and was left alone with the other nurses who were bustling around her. She anxiously bit her fingernails, darting her gaze across the room as she tried to tone out his screams.

Janet, her co-worker, and a close friend looked at her with concern filling into her emerald eyes. Her eyes were clouding with worry as she gazed down at the petite woman who was fiddling with her hands, her dark locks hiding her face.

"Fae, are you alright?" Fatima could feel a warm hand being placed on her shoulder and she flinched, her posture rigid and tense. Their hand immediately left her shoulder, the warm touch quickly disappearing and were replaced with a rush of coldness instead. "I'm fine, Jane." she reluctantly said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Janet's eyes softened. She opened her mouth but closed it, not wanting to pry into her business. She went back to her subject, measuring their blood pressure while her worry for the young woman still lingered at the back of her mind.

Fatima sighed tiredly, slowly standing up from her chair and stretched her body. She could feel her bones crack which made her grimace in disgust. Sauntering towards the door, she shifted her body around, softly mumbling that she was going for a walk.

The young nurse wandered off into the dark alley with an uneasy look on her face. She could feel goosebumps break into her skin and she shuddered, feeling a cold sensation down her spine. As she neared closer to the main facility, she could hear their screams more, making her clench her jaw. She walked towards the entrance of Arnim's lab and almost gasped at the sight in front of her.

A young man was strapped into what looked like an electro machine, and he was screaming in agony. Fatima pushed her body behind the door, her eyes never leaving his state. Tears threatened to fall and she let out a small gasp as she watched them pulling the electro helmet around his head, as well as putting gum inside his mouth to make it less painful, but by the looks of it, the gum was no use.