Chapter 1

~four days later~

Saturday

Ah yes, finally Saturday.

I threw on some army green sweatpants and a black slightly cropped top. I put my hair up into a messy bun then grabbed my phone and texted our group chat.

"Yall wanna meet up at *Ed & Jean's for some ice cream?"
*Ed and Jean's is an ice cream place where I live*

About 5 minutes later, they had both responded.

Tanner: "Yeah, sure. Be there in 10 minutes."

Tiff: "Sure! Be there soon :]"

I laughed at how different they texted. Tiff used little text faces and Tanner used full sentences.

I ran downstairs from my bedroom after putting on a little bit of mascara. Mom was in the living room. "Hey mom, do you mind if I walk to Ed & Jean's and meet up with Tanner and Tiff?"

She looked up from her cross-stitch project. "Sure! I don't mind, as long as you stay with them the whole time. No wandering off. Have Tanner bring you home please!" She smiled.

It was hard to be annoyed with mom's bright smile. "Sure thing."

I walked over and hugged her and kissed her goodbye, and when we pushed away she gave me one more thing. "Be home before dinner!" I checked the clock before I left. One o'clock. I had about four-ish hours to hang out with them, which I thought was cool.

I started walking down our street and looking at all the other houses. What if Tanner and I had a future? How would it be? We've been dating since I was almost fourteen. Two years already! I remember it clear as day. September nineteenth, 2019. I remember when he first asked me to be his girlfriend after being friends for years. We had liked each other forever before he had gotten the courage to ask. I thought it was funny. Thirteen years old sitting in my chair in the living room when he asked me on my MacBook through messages. I remember when my heart literally exploded from excitement and nervousness on what to say. Part of me wanted to desperately say yes, but the other part of me was worried about what my family would say. In the end, my dad was ok with it.

I ran up the steps on the hill to Ed & Jean's and waved when I saw Tanner and Tiff. They were standing under the roof outside the building (if that makes any sense) ordering their ice cream. They must've been waiting for me.

"Hey!" I said.

"Hey girl," Tiff said hugging me.

Tanner kissed my cheek and smiled at me. "Hey," He said. "You're finally here!"

"Haha yeah," I said, tucking my hair behind my ear. I stepped up to the window and ordered my ice cream, as did everyone else.

We sat down at one of the tables under an umbrella. Tanner wrapped his arm around me and I snuggled into his side, knowing that this memory would last a lifetime.

The sky was beautiful today with some wispy clouds that looked unreal.

"So what's up?" Tiff says.

"Just thought it would be fun to hang out today." I said, taking another bite of my ice cream. "I knew today was gonna be boring." I laughed and so did they.

We continued to talk and eat our ice cream as a group for a good half hour. Then he came. Jake McCullin.

Tiff got so red, I started to laugh.

Tanner waved him over to hang out with us.

And soon there would be nothing to set us apart.

°°°°°

Hope?

What about it?

What a word. How strong.

Something someone says when they're in desperate need. "I hope for this," or "I hope for that..."

Or it could be something someone says out of peace.

What if today's world had more hope?

What if it had more people who were satisfied and hoped for the best?

Hope.

There is hope.

°°°°°

**authors note!!**

I'm so super sorry this chapter was so short. I have been so busy!!! I have a craft show next week and school just started ahhhh

Please bear with me as I continue the rest of this story! Love yall