1. BEFORE

I had been to space. Seen the large expanse of the universe spread before and yet it never ceased to amaze me. The yearning to reach out and touch a star never left me, even as the scientist part of me knew I never would be able to. The stars I could see had already long burnt out, I was just seeing an echo.

I never would have believed that one day my silly dreams would come true. Starlight in my grasp. Starlight all around me. Starlight consuming me. Starlight within me.

I was not the first consciousness to go to an alternate universe based on a world I believed to be fictional

I was not the first consciousness to go to an alternate universe based on a world I believed to be fictional. I found out from the alien species that saved me that there were many dimensions and timelines within those dimensions of once thought 'fictional' worlds that they'd found in their intergalactic travels.

However, I was the first to ask to be taught by their scientists. I studied underneath their science officers and found out about how and why their machines operated on the power of exploding stars. They used literal stardust throughout their artifacts. It was fascinating and it made me understand something that the others before hadn't. The reason behind why we were a tad bit more hardy, a tad bit more powerful and why our gifts when chosen incorrectly could make us overpowered.

When it was time for me to be 'reborn' I knew what my 'gift' would be, and even then I knew just somehow it would end up being more than I intended.