6. Moonlight Visitor

The lullaby could be heard down the halls of the dormitory. It was gentle and almost ethereal; the smaller children snuggled deep into their blankets with a sigh while the older glanced at each other with curious gazes.

A couple of guards that walked past in the corridor stopped in their tracks to listen before heading on their way.

The Darkling stood out by the lake watching as a shadow dropped from the dormitory window before striding toward him.

"How often have you come?"

A small smile flickered across lips that peaked beneath the cloak's hood. Gloved hands took a parchment from a leather bag at her side before handing it to him.

One of the children had written a letter and drawn a picture of themselves and the other grisha children. The letter was simple: 'I am happy. I am learning a lot,' written in Shu.

"Not all children I save are Grisha. The families either perish trying to save their children or by turning on them. Their siblings are protective most of the time. I give them updates on the wellbeing of their family and occasionally exchange letters and gifts."

He could hear her scoff as he held the letter up to the light of the full moon. No hidden messages were found.

"I check each gift and letter. I brought the children here to be safe."

"You appear and disappear without a trace. How do you do it?" He drew close staring into the darkness of her cloak seeking out her eyes. "Are you an Inferni? Materalki?"

A laugh that quickly turned into a giggle caused the head to bob inside the cloak before she ruffled her hair in that odd habit of hers, causing the hood to fall behind her. "Is that what you think? I don't have to be Grisha. I could simply be a concerned citizen." Her grin was wide and her teeth almost seemed to glint in the night.

A voice from behind both of them spoke up, "Ma, you are not fooling anyone."

"Liliya!" A look of pure joy seemed to radiate from the masked vigilante and for a moment the Darkling's heart clenched as she seemed to glow almost in the moonlight.

Then the moment was gone as she bounded away, almost loping across the lawn like some woodland deer towards the Inferni's side.

In the light of the lanterns of the little palace, he could see what a stark contrast the two of them made. Liliya stood tall and imposing at over six feet whereas their mysterious 'hero' reached just below her chin.

The Inferni glanced toward him before looking back down at her savior.

"The time has come."

The Darkling strode forward, peering between the two of them before raising an eyebrow at his soldier.

She turned, "The Squaller will be ready for the trip across the Fold. He is young but powerful."

The masked woman was still, her hands clenched at her sides.

It was whispered and the woman seemed ready to run away at any moment, "It's too early. Are you sure?"

"You told me to only tell you news when the trackers were set to go through the Fold."

"Their names?"

Liliya rolled her eyes, "I do not have that information on me. Shouldn't you ask the General...?"

"Yes, I would very much like to know." His grin was sharp as his legendary Cut.

"No. If I tell you anything you won't let me leave the Little Palace." Her eyes widened, "Wait which young squaller?"