16| meadow

16| meadow

She was the only one to blame for her overthinking. She shouldn't have listened to that story Bella told her, because it only made her more curious about certain people. Now she was sitting at her lunch table, unable to fully pay attention to Jessica's story because her mind was going elsewhere. Was she going insane for believing whatever tales existed about him? There were things that were real and things that weren't and how could she decipher the two.

No, she was going insane. It was the intense boredom she felt in Forks, and the only hint of excitement came from thinking about Edward Cullen. The way he infected her mind was almost revolting, turning all her thoughts to him like he was the only one she ever needed to think about. In Biology class she made it more aware how confused and unfocused she was. Edward could feel her eyes on him taking everything in him to not turn around and ask what was wrong. Had he done something to upset her? If it was anyone else he would easily be able to read their minds and see exactly what it was that was on their mind. With Lux it was different, no matter how hard he tried to catch any glimpse of what she was thinking he failed. Even reading her body language he felt like he wasn't ever able to pinpoint anything.

So she was beginning to get a little annoyed because the more she let those thoughts occupy her mind the more she was beginning to believe that they were true. If anyone heard her they'd send her to see the counselor or maybe a psychiatrist. All her life there were things she believed to be real and things that weren't. The line between the two was beginning to blur and she wasn't sure if she wanted to let herself continue down the path.

Edward was able to sense something was off all day. It was eating at him too, the way he could read her body language, showing him she was conflicted. And even though she hadn't said anything he couldn't help but feel it was toward him. He almost knew it was, she wouldn't stop looking at him, and he looked at her through someone else's thoughts and she was unreadable. Her state was blank lost in thought and he had no way to see into it.

When school came to an end he felt like he was going to miss his chance. If maybe he'd wait around long enough she'd finally confront him. Tell him she was upset over something normal. He hadn't expected the look she's given him from across the parking lot. Eyes narrowed and lips tight, eyebrows furrowed but not with confusion. Maybe a mixture of irritation or realization, he just couldn't tell. He hadn't expected to know so soon or for her to take the initiative he was hoping she would. Her steps toward him were taken in large direct strides, someone on a mission actually. And the step he took toward her hoping to close the gap sooner was missed as she walked past him.

"Where are you going?" He asked unsure in his tone following her into the woods. She was walking at a quick pace very determined or maybe even conflicted. "I," she paused looking around, her aimless walking taking her somewhere surrounded by tall trees and moss on every piece of ground, "I want you to be honest with me Edward."

"About what?" His voice was calm but he felt on edge a bit, honest about what? How much honesty was she looking from him? Lux huffed failing to word her thoughts in a way that she wouldn't sound insane, "Just, tell me if I sound crazy or not."

"Go on," his steps toward her were slow and cautious, like he feared whatever else she'd say. Upon seeing him approach she turned away, scared of seeing his expression would intimidate her. "I don't know," you shook your head, "You're... something is different about you."

He didn't say anything, a sense of irritation growing inside him as he became unraveled by her. "You tell me you can read my mind almost, or can't read mine and that's odd to you. You, you're fast and strong and you never eat or drink. Your eyes change color, you—how old are you?" Your heart was racing in your chest. His cold presence so incredibly close to you but his voice was still calm.