waiting

Kie took her lunch breaks after the lunch rush. That way she could take some leftovers to JJ and they could eat together. That day she had two burgers, some cold fries, and mac and cheese. She could smell it on the seat beside her and her mouth was watering. She hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast and the lunch rush was over quite late. She pulled into the driveway of the big house on the North Side of the island where JJ was helping out some friends who were roofers. Usually when she arrived, the guys were already out front eating but today they weren't there. She sat in her car a bit, went on her phone, trying to kill time. After a while she was getting really hungry. She got out of her car and made her way around the side of the house. In the back, it looked like the guys were finishing up.

"JJ! KIE'S HERE!!", an unknown male voice bellowed.

A bunch of shouts rang out through the group. JJ, noticing Kie, jogged over grinning.

He was wearing his classic cargo shorts but he was lacking a t-shirt. Kie sucked in a breath when she saw him.

It was undeniable JJ was attractive and Kie had perhaps thought about what it would be like to date him but he was her best friend. She couldn't jeopardize that. It didn't matter that he gave her butterflies unmatched by any other person she had ever met and that he could make her laugh harder than she ever had in her life and that his smile just made her melt and when he cried her heart shattered. Every little thing that JJ made her feel, she pushed down, to be left unaddressed.

"Hey Kie, sorry. I'm just getting cleaned up."

He was indeed drenched in sweat and his hands and face had a healthy layer of dirt.

"That'd be a first," she replied, fixing JJ with a playful smile.

"Oh is that so? Alright," JJ wrapped her in a hug and started wiping his sweaty face on her cheeks.

"AH NO! GROSS! I TAKE IT BACK, I TAKE IT BACK! YOU'RE A VERY HYGIENIC YOUNG MAN!!"

He let her go and took at step back.

"Thank you," he nodded with an accomplished smirk.

She stood frozen in the spot he left her, arms half raised, staring at him with a half disgusted, half stern look.

"How about I get you a wet paper towel," he said looking a little scared.

"Sounds lovely," she replied, nodding. The charms of his shirtless-ness had dissipated immensely.

They got cleaned up and made their way to the car, with the rest of the workers.

"I am starving," Kie whined while unpacking the food.

"Well why didn't you just eat?"

Kie stopped.

"I don't know," she said looking up at him, with genuine confusion on her face.

"Were you waiting for me?" JJ's voice had a teasing lilt and his face had split into a wide grin.

"Stop-"

"Were you waiting to eat with me-"

"JJ-"

"because you just love spending time with me so much?"

"Keep dreaming Maybank," Kie said rolling her eyes.

"I don't know Carrera, I think I really hit it on the nose with this one."

She threw a couple fries at him.

JJ gasped.

"That is a waste of valuable fuel missy."

He looked scandalized.

"Uh huh."

"Irresponsible."

"Eat your lunch JJ."

............

this is just a light little filler that i needed to get out of my system lmao. sorry for the inconvenience.