The fresh, crisp winter air burned my lungs as I inhaled. The snow-white blanket covered the land and some pine treetops that were nearby. I giggled and ran off into the snow. I saw some kids nearby making snow angels and building snowmen up ahead.

"Come, Ryu. May I play with them?" I asked.

He nodded, and I ran off towards the kids. Ryu watched as they were first scared of me but soon warmed up when I showed them no harm. We had fun playing in the snow while Ryu watched us. Although the kids were quite curious about who I am for the most part.

"What's your name?" one of the kids had asked me as we sat in the snow fort that we had made.

"Maie," I wrote in the snow.

"Oh, what a beautiful name," one of the girls had said.

She had to be no older than 12, I thought to myself. I smiled back at her and wrote in the snow again.

"What's your name?"

"I'm Jasmine. And this is my younger brother, Walker," Jasmine had said.

"Do you know how to speak?" Walker had asked me.

I shook my head no, and they looked at me with such a hurt look, it made my stomach drop and curdled. I don't particularly appreciate being looked upon like that.

"If you don't mind asking, why is Chief Ryu watching you like a hawk. He's never really done that to anyone other than his nieces and nephews when they come to visit," Jasmine said.

"He found me in the woods alone. Why do you call him Chief Ryu?" I responded.

"He's the leader of the Blue Waters pride. We're tiger shifters," Walker said with pride.

"Walker! That's a pride secret. You're not supposed to tell anyone that isn't a shifter," Jasmine said.

Right as Walker was about to apologize, Ryu stood at the entrance, and poor little Walker started shaking in fear.

"Maie let's go," he said sternly.

I looked over at them, and Jasmine nudges me towards him, so we don't get into any more trouble with Ryu. I sighed and got up to be dragged back into the mansion-like house. But before he was too far from earshot, he turned and spoke with a voice full of dominance and sternness.

"I'll let your parents be aware of this situation," he said before continuing to drag me into the house.

When we walked into the house, I pulled my arm away and stomped my foot. The glare I received from him pierced through my soul, making me want to quake in fear, but with everything I've gone through as a child, I wasn't going to cave in. For once, I knew I wasn't crazy when I saw tigers, and this was my only clue to see through his lies from earlier.

"Don't stomp your foot at me," Ryu said.

I huffed and stomped my foot again.

"Maie, I said don't!" he exclaimed as he pinned me to the wall by my shoulder.

I looked at him with wide eyes as I saw his once dark fiery orange eyes turn a bright gold color. I could hear a low growl in the back of his throat, but his growls soon covered it up with Ryu clearing his throat.

"Umm, Sorry," he said as he let go of my shoulder and turned his back to me.

I grabbed his hand and slightly pulled it towards me. Unfortunately, his hand was clenched into a fist, and blood started trickling down to the floor. I quickly yanked him up the stairs and into the room where the first aid kit was in the bathroom. I pointed to the counter for him to sit, and he just listened without questioning anything. I managed to open his fist after a few times of trying to pull his fingers up and went to clean his bloody hand, only to find no cuts at all. I traced my finger against his palm, making sure I wasn't going crazy before hearing him sigh.

"I guess the cat is out of the bag," he said.

I looked at him, confused about what had happened to his cuts.

"There's something I need to tell you," he said.

I nodded, encouraging him to talk more.

"You know how you told me that you saw a group of tigers in the woods," he said.

I nodded again.

"Well, you weren't dreaming. I was that blue tiger."